PDA

View Full Version : Tanks of the Russian front

KG_Swampfox
04-04-2006, 08:25 AM
Gentlemen,

I have decided to do a review of all of the tanks serving on the eastern front.
The first tank reviewed, will be a Russian tank, and then its equal in the German army will follow. As many of you know, I am terrible at typing, so most of the info will be cut and pasted with the original author noted. The first two tanks will be the T-26 and its variants, then the venerable Panzer I.

Now, pour yourself a cup of coffee or a shot of vodka, and enjoy reading about the first tank, The T-26.

Swamp

T-26
Orriginal by Thorleif Olsson

The T-26 light tank was the soviet version of the Vickers 6-ton tank.
Some Vickers 6-ton tanks arrived to Russia in 1930, and they were evaluated in Leningrad. It was decided to improve the model for later adoption, and these tanks were called TMM-1 and TMM-2. Both of these had many changes from the English model. About 20 TMM tanks were built, and later production order was given to the Bolshevik factory in Leningrad where the newly formed OKMO (design team) were to develop the new vehicle. In 1931, some 120 T-26 Model 1931 were built.

Two versions were built: one with MGs in both turrets, and a command tank named T-26TU Model 1931 with a 37mm Model 1928 gun in the right turret, and a MG in the other. Few command tanks were armed with improved long-barrelled 37mm PS-2 Model 1930 gun. Plans were also made to fit a 45mm anti-tank gun, but they were dropped. Also a flame throwing OT-26 and an engineer tank named ST-26 (Saperskiy Tank - Engineer tank) were built. The ST-26 were built in small numbers, equipped with a 7 meter bridge, and was used by various tank units in mid 1930s. A total of more than 1.000 T-26 Model 1931 and its derivatives in 1932 were built, the last production vehicles having a welded turret instead of the original riveted ones. In 1930, license rights were purchased from Germany to produce the 37mm Rheinmetall PaK as the 37mm Model 1930 anti-tank gun. It was later found that the 45mm anti-tank gun was more suitable, and therefore a 45mm Model 1931 anti-tank gun was used. The later model T-26 Model 1932 had a single turret mounting a Hotchkiss 37mm high-velocity gun (T-26P). The T-26 Model 1933 were produced in highest quantity, some 5.500 had been built as production ceased in 1936. The T-26 Model 1933 used two different mantles, early vehicles having the drop-forged while latter had one made up of welded parts. After experiences in the conflict with the Japanese in the Manchuria region, later T-26 Model 1933 were gradually more and more welded instead of riveted. The last production batches of the T-26 Model 1933 went of the production lines in 1935/36 with two additional DT machineguns; one on a new circular roof hatch for anti-aircraft protection and another in the turret rear. T-26 Model 1933 tanks with radio were used primarily by platoon and coy commanders, and were known as T-26TU Model 1933.

In 1937, some T-26 tanks were fitted with a radio and was specified T-26RT. The T-26S Model 1937 was armed with a 45mm Model 1938 L/46 gun. The final model, the T-26S Model 1939 had a 45mm gun, heavier armour and a rounded-off welded hull and a revised turret. Even though the T-26S Model 1939 was uparmoured, it could not withstand anti-tank guns or fire from anti-tank rifles. This resulted in small number of
T-26 tanks were further uparmoured (hull and turret). Frontal armour was now 50mm and the variant were known as T-26E (T-26 ekranami). A T-26A was also produced, armed with a 76.2mm Model 1927/32 howitzer.
Only very few T-26A were built due to the overweight turret.

From 1938 onwards, the OT-130 was introduced based on the single-turreted T-26. In 1939, Zavod 185 began producing the OT-133, based on the T-26S Model 1939. In 1940 the Compressor Factory in Moscow developed a new flamethrower for the hull, the 45mm gun in the turret remained. In 1941 a few T-26S tank were modified and known as T-134. A total of 1.336 flame-thrower tanks (all versions) of the T-26 was built.

Experimental amphibian T-26PKh tank project were made in mid-1930s, but only a small production run took place. T-26 chassis was used to build many SP-guns, the SU-1 armed with a 76.2mm Model 1927 gun, the
SU-5-1 armed with a 76.2mm Model 1902 gun, SU-5-2 armed with a 122mm Model 1910/1930, and SU-5-3 armed with a 152,4mm Model 1931 gun.

The most extreme variant of the T-26 was a prototype, KT-26, fitted with wings and a tail unit directly on to the chassis. Bulky pontoons were designed to provide limited amphibious qualities.

First seeing action in the borderlands between Mongolia and Manchuria, it later took part with both sides in the Spanish Civil War. The T-26 then continued in Finland in 1940, many were captured and reused by the Finns. The Finns captured a total of 114 T-26 tanks, and they preferred using the T-26 instead of the BT tank. Few survived the German invasion campaigns in Russia of 1941-42. German captured many T-26s, and they were often issued to the infantry as Panzerkampfwagen T-26A/B/C 737-740(r), but few were also converted to Panzerjägers carrying the French 75mm anti-tank gun - designated "7.5cm PaK 97/98 auf Beute Panzer T-26".

A total of 12.600 T-26 tanks were manufactured by STZ in Stalingrad and Factory #174 in Leningrad. The T-26 was exported to several
countries: Afghanistan (6 T-26 Model 1931 in 1933), China, Spain (325
T-26 Model 1933) and Turkey (60 T-26 Model 1933).

T-26 Model 1931 and variants - 1.200

T-26 Model 1933 - 5.500

T-26 Model 1937/38 -

T-26 Model 1939 -

Specifications:

Type Light tank
Crew 3
Armament
Main 45 mm
Secondary 2 x 7,62 mm
Armour 6 - 13 mm
Dimensions
Length 4,88 m
Height 2,15 m
Width 2,44 m
Weight 9.400 kg
Horsepower 75
Transmission 6
Performance
Max speed 28 km/h
Range 375 km

KG_Swampfox
04-11-2006, 08:27 AM
Gentlemen,
Now a bit of info on the Panzer I Tank, enjoy.....

The Panzer I marked the first production tank design in Germany since the conclusion of World War I. In 1932, specifications for a light (5-ton) tank were made and issued to the German industrial manufacturers Rheinmetall, Krupp, Henschel, MAN and Daimler Benz. In 1933, the design by Krupp was chosen. It was based on the British Carden Loyd Mk IV Tankette, two of which had been secretly purchased from the Soviet Union. The Treaty of Versailles prohibited Germany from producing any tanks, so these versions were referred to as "Landwirtschaftlicher Schlepper" (agricultural tractors). The design was modified in late 1933 to combine the Krupp chassis with the Daimler Benz turret design. In 1934, the resulting tank was designated the Panzer I Ausf A (version A), and production began in July.
The original Panzer I was designed as a light tank for reconnaissance and infantry support duties. However, the most important goal of its development was to provide a vehicle to begin forming and training a German tank force. It was to be replaced in the Panzer divisions as soon as possible by more capable purpose-designed combat tanks, although as it turned out, by the start of World War II, the Panzer I was still filling a significant role in these units due to extended time in getting more advanced tanks produced.
The tank itself was produced in two primary variants. The original PzKpfw IA was underpowered and was replaced in production by the PzKpfw IB, with a more powerful engine and other improvements. The B model can be identified by the slightly longer hull and extra road wheel necessary for the larger engine. For the most part, the two versions were similar in operation. A few attempts were made to make a heavier armed tank or one able to participate in airborne operations, but few of these were made. By the time of the replacement of the Panzer I, it was long obsolete in any combat role, and thus many of the surviving chassis were converted to other roles. Most attempts to mount guns were less than successful due to the small size of the vehicle, but it was successful as a turret-less tractor, both for training of tank drivers and carrying cargo and munitions to front line units.
Combat History
The Panzer I first saw combat in 1936 in the Spanish Civil War as part of the German forces sent to assist General Franco and the Nationalists. The Panzer I turned out to be underpowered, under-gunned, and outclassed by the Soviet T-26 and BT-5 tanks used by the Republican forces. A number of Panzer Is were captured by the Republican forces, and fitted with 20 mm or 25mm anti-tank guns.
The Panzer I was intended as a training tank, to be replaced by the Panzer III in actual combat. However, because of delays in the production of Panzer IIIs, the Panzer I was the main tank used in the invasion of Poland and was used extensively in the invasions of France, Denmark, and Norway.
Fifteen Panzer IAs were purchased by Nationalist China, and saw combat in the Chinese Civil War.
After Germany removed the Panzer I from combat they were used extensively for patrolling in the conquered territories and for the training of new Panzertruppen.
Design
Armour
The Panzer I had 13 mm of unsloped or slightly sloped homogenous steel armour on all sides, with 8 mm of armour on the top of the turret, and 6 mm on the top and bottom of the hull. The armour was sufficient to stop rifle bullets and most machine-gun bullets, but would not stop anything heavier, such as anti-tank rifles and anti-tank guns. Even though the armour was relatively thin, the steel plates had been face-hardened, an expensive treatment which suggests that actual combat use had been considered
Armament
The Panzer I was armed with a pair of 7.92 mm machine guns in the turret. These guns could be independently elevated, but otherwise fixed in the turret. This made the Panzer I a good tank against infantry and soft vehicles, but completely impotent against anything with armor.
Mobility
The Panzer IA had a 57 hp (43 kW) Krupp M305 4-cylinder gasoline engine, capable of propelling it at 37 km/h (23 mph) on good terrain, and a range of 145 km (90 miles) on-road. The IB had a 100 hp (75 kW), 6-cylinder Maybach NL38TR engine giving it a top speed of 40 km/h (25 mph), and a range of 170 km (105 miles) on-road.
Crew
The Panzer I had a crew of two. The driver sat in the forward hull, while the commander sat in the turret and operated the guns and radio.
Variants
Panzerkampfwagen I Ausf A (PzKpfw IA)
The Ausf A was the first production model. 818 were produced in the period from July 1934 to June 1936 by Daimler-Benz, Henschel, Krupp and MAN. Intended as a training and development vehicle, it was nevertheless widely used by all German panzer formations early in the war. However, it was quickly phased out. Its last service seen was in Finland and North Africa as late as 1941. It differed from the later Ausf B in a number of respects. Most important was its less powerful Krupp M305 engine. The lighter Ausf A (5.4 tons) was also shorter (4.02 m) and could be recognized externally by only having four road wheels. The Ausf A had poorer performance than the Ausf B, with a top road speed of 37 km/h and a range of 145 km.
Panzerkampfwagen I Ausf A ohne Aufbau
Actually the first Panzer I vehicles to be built, 15 were completed by the various firms included in the program (Daimler-Benz, Henschel, Krupp, MAN, and Rheinmetall) to develop their industrial capacity and provide initial training vehicles to the Wehrmacht. The Ausf A ohne Aufbau was merely a Panzer I hull without superstructure or turret. The interior was completely open, and was crewed by a driving student and instructor with room for three student observers behind them. The suspension and hull were identical to the Ausf A, but total weight was reduced to 3.5 tons and height to 1.15 m. Performance was similar.
Munitionsschlepper auf Panzerkampfwagen I Ausf A
Given the designation SdKfz 111, the Munitionsschlepper (ammunition tractor) was built to provide panzer units with an armored, tracked vehicle for front-line re-supply of tanks. 51 examples were converted from older Ausf A tanks in September 1939. The conversion involved simply removing the turret and providing a two-piece armor plate cover over the resulting opening. This was a rather crude conversion, and served in Poland and France with panzer units. Total weight was a little less than the Ausf A at 5.0 tons and height reduced to 1.4 m. Since some fuel capacity was removed, range was cut to 95 km. No armament was provided.

Brückenleger auf Panzerkampfwagen I Ausf A
An attempt to mount bridging equipment on the Ausf A chassis proved impractical due to the weak suspension of the vehicle, although this was later tried with greater success on the Panzer II chassis.
Flammenwerfer auf Panzerkampfwagen I Ausf A
A simple field modification, the Flammenwerfer consisted simply of a portable flamethrower being mounted in place of one of the machine guns with enough fuel for about 10 seconds of firing at a range of up to 25 m. The conversion was not permanent, and was only reported to be used in the Battle of Tobruk by the German 5th Light Division.
Kleiner Panzerbefehlswagen (klPzBefWg)
Given the designation SdKfz 265, the klPzBefWg was designed from the Ausf A to provide a command vehicle for panzer units. This required lengthening the chassis (by adding a fifth road wheel) and upgrading the engine. Ultimately, this chassis would be the basis for the improved Ausf B version. The klPzBefWg also differed in replacing the turret with a built up superstructure, affording more interior room for command equipment and a FuG6 radio in addition to the FuG2. A single MG13 or MG34 in a ball mount on the front of the superstructure was provided, although often removed. Slightly heavier (5.9 tons) and taller (1.99 m) than the Ausf B, the klPzBefWg served with all panzer units into the early war years. It did receive an additional 15 mm of armor later, but eventually was moved to auxiliary duties by 1942. 184 were build by Daimler-Benz at the same time as Ausf B production, as well as six examples built from Ausf A tanks.
Panzerkampfwagen I Ausf B (PzKpfw IB)
The Ausf B was the most widely built and used Panzer I version. Adopting the larger hull developed for the kleine Panzerbefehlswagen, and installing a more powerful and reliable Maybach NL38TR engine, 675 were built by Daimler-Benz, Henschel, Krupp, MAN, and Wegmann from August 1935 through June 1937.
Panzer I Ausf B specifications
• Dimensions:
length 4.42 m
height 1.72 m
width 2.06 m
• Weight: 5.8 tons
• Engine: Maybach NL38TR,
• Transmission: 5 forward gears and reverse
• Performance:
speed: 40 km/h
range: 170 km
Radio: FuG2
• Armor:
• Front, side, rear: 13 mm
• Roof: 8 mm
Floor: 6 mm
• Turret: one man with 360° hand traverse, Elevation: + 18° to - 12°
Armament: twin turret-mounted coaxial MG13 7.92 mm machine guns with TZF2 gun sight
Ammunition: 2,250 7.92 mm machine gun ammunition carried
• Crew: 2
Panzerkampfwagen I Ausf B ohne Aufbau
The Ausf B ohne Aufbau used the same chassis as the Ausf B, but deleted the superstructure and turret. Designed to provide panzer units with a tracked recovery and repair vehicle, 164 were produced alongside the standard Ausf B vehicles. However, the introduction of larger tanks left it unable to do recovery work and by 1940 it was being transferred to training duties. Versus the Ausf B it was much lighter (4.0 tons) and shorter (1.35 m). Like the Ausf A ohne Aufbau, the compartment was open topped, but the hull was armored.
4.7 cm PaK (t) (Sf) auf Panzerkampfwagen I Ausf B
Commonly known as the Panzerjäger I, this version marked Germany's first attempt at an armored tank destroyer. The turret, was removed and a 4.7 cm PaK (t) antitank gun (captured from Czechoslovakia) with a tall wrap-around gun shield installed instead. Although made from 14.5 mm thick armor plate the shield offered no protection to the rear or above. The gun was capable of 35° of traverse and elevation from -8° to +12°. 86 rounds were carried for the main gun,. While performance was similar to the Ausf B, it was heavier at 6.4 tons and taller ,2.25 m, than the B.
15 cm sIG 33 (Sf) auf Panzerkampfwagen I Ausf B
The larger Ausf B chassis made possible the mounting of heavier guns with removal of the turret. The largest was the 150 mm heavy infantry gun, the sIG 33. This mammoth piece was relatively short and fit just barely in a tall superstructure not only built up to the vehicle's 2.8 m height but also out over the tracks to their full 2.06 m width. The superstructure armor was light at only 10 mm and only protected the front and sides. The heavy resulting weight of 8.5 tons overstressed the chassis and utimately, the vehicle was not a great success. 38 were converted from older Ausf B tanks in February 1940 and they served with six heavy SP infantry gun companies with survivors in service into 1943. The sIG mounting was capable of 25 ° of traverse and 75 ° of elevation, and could be depressed to -4 °. It used a Rblf36 sight, and ammunition was carried separately, there being no room for onboard shell storage. The sIG would be mounted more successfully on larger chassis as the war progressed.
Flammenwerfer auf Panzerkampfwagen I Ausf B
An experiment at a field modification similar to that done to the Ausf A later in North Africa, this conversion was made during the Spanish Civil War, although there is no record of later use during World War II.
Ladungsleger auf Panzerkampfwagen I Ausf B
A field modification kit, the Ladungsleger, or explosives layer, was mounted on the rear deck of an Ausf B tank and used to lay explosives to defeat field fortifications. A number of vehicles were given these kits, with authorized use on the armored engineers company of each Pioneer Battalion.
Panzerkampfwagen I Ausf C (PzKpfw IC)
An attempt to redesign the PzKpfw I for use in the reconnaissance role and in airborne operations was made through a full redesign of the suspension, using interleaved road wheels, a new powerplant, and increased armor. Total weight was 8.0 tons, powered by a Maybach HL45P engine driving a transmission with 8 forward gears plus two reverse gears. However, the vehicle was shorter (4.19 m) and narrower (1.92) while height was a bit greater (1.94 m). Speed was impressive at 79 km/h and a range of 300 km was possible. Armament was significantly upgraded, with one of the machine guns replaced by a 20 mm EW141 automatic cannon, while the other was a coaxial MG34 7.92 mm machine gun. The guns could elevate to 20 ° and down to -10 ° with full hand powered traverse. Armor was built up to 30 mm front and 20 mm for the side and rear, with 10 mm top and bottom, with almost no slope. Despite the improvements, the tank was still outclassed by the time of its production from July through December 1942, during which 40 were built by Krauss-Maffei, and most were issued to reserve units.
Panzerkampfwagen I Ausf D (PzKpfw ID)
Only 1 produced, designated VK602.
Panzerkampfwagen I Ausf F (PzKpfw IF)
Originally given the prototype designation VK1801, the final attempt to design a new Panzer I tank was the Ausf F, a 21 ton heavily armored infantry assault tank. Strictly designed to mount the maximum armor protection possible, 80 mm frontal plate was provided with 50 mm on the side and rear and 25 mm top and bottom, although with negligible slope. The suspension and powerplant of the Ausf C were used, but with a simpler transmission with only 4 forward gears plus reverse. Length was increased to 4.38 m and width to 2.64 m to accommodate wider tracks to lessen ground pressure while height was only lightly greater at 2.05 m. Performance suffered with speed reduced to 25 km/h and range to 150 km. A pair of MG34 coaxial machine guns provided the armament. While invulnerable to most antitank weapons of its time, its low speed and weak armament limited it to expressly anti-infantry operations. Only thirty were produced by Krauss-Maffei from April through December 1942, and most served on the Eastern Front.
Designs based on chassis
• 15 cm sIG33(Sf) auf Panzerkampfwagen I Ausf B
Self-propelled 150 mm howitzer. 38 converted from existing tanks.
• Panzerjäger I
Self-propelled 47 mm anti-tank gun. 202 converted from existing tanks.
• Flammenwerfer auf Panzerkampfwagen I Ausf A
Flamethrower tank. Field conversion of the Panzer IA using an infantry flamethrower.
• Ladungsleger auf Panzerkampfwagen I Ausf A
Minelayer tank. 100 converted from existing tanks.
• Munitionsschlepper Auf Panzerkampfwagen Ia und Ib
Ammunition carrier. In 1942-43, all Panzer Is still in service were converted into these vehicles.
• Flakpanzer I
anti-aircraft tank. 24 converted from Munitionsschlepper I Ausf As.

Sorce: wikipedia

KG_Jag
04-11-2006, 11:22 PM
Thanks Pat--I'm looking forward to reading your entire series!

Full Monty
04-13-2006, 01:04 PM
You're doing a fine job there Swampy.:beerglass

KG_Swampfox
04-18-2006, 02:53 PM
Gents,
It is now time to look at the BT series of light tanks built by the Russians in the 30's. As the series evolves, you can see the lines of the famous T-34 develop. Interesting note: the BT series could run with the tracks off as pictured by the BT-5. Also note the short barreled inf gun mounted in the tank behind the BT-5

Swamp

The BT series of light tanks

The Bystrokhodniy Tank (Fast Tank), was a series of Soviet 'cavalry tanks' which were produced in large numbers between 1932 and 1941. They were lightly armoured, but reasonably well-armed for their time, and had much better mobility than other contemporary tank designs. The BT tanks were known by the nickname Betka from the acronym, or by the diminutive version Betushka.
The BT tanks were 'convertible tanks'. This was a feature designed to reduce wear of the unreliable tank tracks of the 1930s. In about thirty minutes the crew could remove the tracks and engage a chain drive to the road wheels, allowing the tank to travel at very high speeds on roads. In wheeled mode the tank was steered by pivoting the front road wheels.
BT tanks saw service in the Spanish Civil War, in the Far East, in the Winter War in Finland, the annexation of Poland, and in the early part of World War Two. The BT tank design served as a platform for experimentation with artillery support tanks and advanced armour layout, and further development led directly to the famous T-34 tank.
Production History

The BT-2 tank of 1932 was the first Soviet copy of Walter Christie's design.
In 1931 two experimental M1930 Christie tanks without turrets, designated BT-1, were purchased from the U.S. and delivered to the Kharkov Komintern Locomotive Plant (KhPZ). Based on the Christie prototypes, three unarmed BT-2 prototypes were completed in October 1931 and mass production began in 1932. Most BT-2s were equipped with 37mm gun and one machine gun, but shortages of 37mm guns led to some early examples being fitted with three machine guns. The BT-3 and later models were equipped with a 45mm gun.
In 1937, a new design team was formed at the KhPZ under Chief designer Mikhail I. Koshkin, to create the next generation of BT tanks. The team built a BT prototype called the A-20, but also built a more heavily armed and armoured derivative, the A-30, a "universal tank" to replace both the T-26 infantry tank and BT-8 cavalry tank. The design was controversial, but concerns about tank performance under the threat of German Blitzkrieg led to the approval for production of a still more heavily-armoured version, the T-34 medium tank.
Production:
• BT-5: 1,884
• BT-7: 5,328
• BT-8: 706
Variants

BT-7A "artillery support tank" was a self-propelled gun variant, armed with a 76.2mm howitzer.
• BT-1 - Christie prototype.
• BT-2 Model 1932 - 37mm gun, M-5 engine (copy of U.S. Liberty engine).
• BT-5- larger cylindrical turret, 45mm gun, ball-mount MG.
o BT-5 Model 1933 - new turret with twin hatches, larger bustle and coaxial MG.
o BT-5PKh - snorkelling variant (prototypes only).
o BT-5A - artillery support version with 76.2mm howitzer (few made).
o BT-5 flamethrower tank - (prototypes only)
o PT-1A - amphibious variant with new hull (few made).
• BT-7 Model 1935 - welded hull, redesigned hull front, new M-17T engine (copy of BMW), enclosed muffler
o BT-7 Model 1937 - new turret with sloping armour
o BT-7TU - command version, with whip antenna instead of earlier horseshoe antenna
o BT-7A - artillery support version with 76.2mm howitzer
o OP-7 - flame-thrower version with external fuel panniers
• BT-8 (1938, originally called BT-7M) - new V-2 diesel engine (based on Hispano-Suiza 12Y aero engine), two DT machine guns: in P-40 AA mount on roof and in a ball-mount on turret rear
• BT-42 - Finnish assault gun, captured BT-7s were equipped with British 114mm howitzers.
• BT-IS - Prototype/proof-of-concept platform with heavily sloped armor; forerunner of the armor design on the T-34.
• BT-SW-2 Cherepakha ("turtle") – Another prototype, which took the armour sloping to an extreme.
Specifications
A BT-7 crewman converses with German troops at the so-called "Border of Peace" set up after the 1939 invasion of Poland under the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact.
BT-2 BT-5 BT-7 BT-7A BT-8
crew 3 3 3 3 3
weight 10.2 t
11.5 t 14 t 14.5 t 14.7 t
length 5.58 m
5.58 m 5.66 m 5.66 m 5.66 m
width 2.23 m 2.23 m 2.29 m 2.29 m 2.29 m
height 2.20 m 2.25 m 2.42 m 2.52 m 2.42 m
armour 6–13 mm
6–13 mm 6–13 mm 6–13 mm 6–22 mm
main gun
model 37mm
Model 30 45mm
Model 32 45mm
Model 35 76.2mm
Model 27/32 45mm
Model 38
main ammo 96 rds. 115 rds. 146 rds. 50 rds. 146 rds.
machine guns DT MG
DT MG DT MG 2×DT MG 3×DT MG
engine hp
type 400 hp
Liberty 400 hp
M-5 500 hp
M-17T 500 hp
M-17T 450 hp
V-2
fuel 400 l
360 l 620 l 620 l 620+170 l
road speed 100 km/h
72 km/h 86 km/h 86 km/h 86 km/h
power:weight 39 hp/t
35 hp/t 36 hp/t 34 hp/t 31 hp/t
road range 300 km
200 km 250 km 250 km 700 km
tactical range 100 km 90 km 120 km 120 km 400 km
Source: Zaloga & Grandsen, Soviet Tanks and Combat Vehicles of World War Two

Combat History
BT tanks were used in combat on several occasions prior to World War II. A battalion of BT-5s saw action on the Republican side in the Spanish Civil War, where their 45mm guns could easily destroy the opposing German and Italian light tanks. In the border skirmishes against Japan in 1939, both BT-5s and BT-7s were used. Again the BT generally outclassed the lightweight enemy tanks. Against Finland during the Winter War (mainly BT-2 and BT-5 models) the BT was less successful. The Finnish forces were well-led, highly motivated and defending very constricted terrain. The thinly-armored BTs were very vulnerable to dug-in Finnish antitank guns.
In the Second World War, BT-5s and BT-7s took part in the Soviet occupation of eastern Poland in 1939, and in large numbers in the battles of 1941. Most of these tanks were abandoned or destroyed in the disastrous 1941 campaign. A few continued in use in 1942, but they became quite rare after that time.
The Red Army planned to replace the BT series with the T-34 and had just begun doing so when the German invasion (Operation Barbarossa) took place.
Technical Legacy
BT-7 tanks on parade.
The BT series was numerous, forming the 'cavalry tank' arm of the pre-war Red Army, and had much better mobility than other contemporary tank designs. For these reasons, there were many experiments and derivatives of the design, mostly conducted at the KhPZ factory in Kharkov, Soviet Ukraine.
The most important legacy of the BT was the T-34 design, derived in part from the BT. The T-34 had many innovations well beyond the BT, but the lineage is obvious. Along the way, an important technical development was the BT-IS and BT-SW-2 series of testbed vehicles, which demonstrated the construction of vehicles with very heavily-sloped armor. This proof-of-concept led directly to the armor layout of the T-34.
BTs were also used as chassis for engineer support vehicles and mobility testbeds. A bridgelayers variant had a T-38 turret and launched a bridge across small gaps. Standard tanks were fitted as fascine carriers. The RBT-5 hosted a pair of large artillery rocket launchers, one on each side of the turret. Several designs for extremely wide tracks, including, oddly, wooden 'snowshoes' were tried on BTs.
The KBT-7 was a thoroughly modern armored command vehicle that was in the prototype stage when WW2 broke out. The design was not pursued during the war.
In the Kiev maneuvers of 1936, foreign military observers were shown hundreds of BTs rolling by a reviewing stand. In the audience were British Army representatives, who returned home to advocate for use of Christie suspension on British cruiser tanks. The British A-13, Crusader, and Cromwell tanks all used suspension designs derived from the Christie via the BT.
References
• Zaloga, Steven J.; James Grandsen (1984). Soviet Tanks and Combat Vehicles of World War Two, London: Arms and Armour Press. ISBN 0-85368-606-8.

KG_Swampfox
04-19-2006, 10:00 PM
Now the Panzer II. What a splendid little armoured vehicle. It was used as a tank, tank destroyer, gun carriage, munitions carrier, recon tank, flamm tank. Few vehicles were used in so many ways as a work horse for an army.

Swamp

The Panzer II

History
Ausführung A
In 1934, delays in the design and production of the Panzer III and Panzer IV tanks were becoming apparent. Designs for a stopgap tank were solicited from Krupp, MAN, Henschel, and Daimler-Benz. The final design was based on the Panzer I, but larger and with a turret mounting a 20 mm anti-tank gun. Production began in 1935, but it took another eighteen months for the first combat-ready tank to be delivered.
The Panzer II was the main battle tank of the German Panzer divisions beginning with the invasion of France, until it was replaced by the Panzer III and IV in 1940/41. Afterwards, it was used to great effect as a reconnaissance tank. The Panzer II was perhaps tested in the Spanish Civil War and used in the German campaigns in Poland, France, Denmark, Norway, North Africa and Russia. After being removed from front-line duty, it was used on secondary fronts and for patrolling.
Armor
The Panzer II A, B, and C had 14 mm of slightly sloped homogenous steel armor on the sides, front, and back, with 10 mm of armor on the top and bottom. This armor proved to be ineffective against anything heavier than a machine gun, so starting with the D model, the front armor was increased to 30 mm. The Model F had 35 mm front armour and 20 mm side armor.
Armament
Most tank versions of the Panzer II were armed with a 2 cm KwK 30 L/55 cannon. Some later versions employed the 2 cm KwK 38 L/55 which was similar. This cannon was based on the 2 cm FlaK 30 anti-aircraft gun, and was capable of firing at a rate of 280 rounds per minute, a very high rate for a tank. The Panzer II also had a 7.92 mm machine gun mounted coaxially with the main gun.
The 20 mm cannon proved to be ineffective against many Allied tanks, and experiments were made towards replacing it with a 37 mm cannon, but nothing came of this. Prototypes were built with a 50 mm tank gun, but by then the Panzer II had outlived its usefulness as a tank regardless of armament. Greater success was had by replacing the standard armor-piercing explosive ammunition with a tungsten cored solid ammunition, but due to material shortages this ammunition was in chronically short supply.
Later development into a self-propelled gun carriage saw the mounting of a 5 cm PaK 38 antitank gun, but this was seen as insufficient for the time, and the larger 7.62 cm PaK 36(r) was installed as an effective stop-gap. The main production antitank version was fitted with a 7.5 cm PaK 40 which was very effective. Artillery mounting began with a few 15 cm sIG 33 heavy infantry guns, but most effective was the 10.5 cm leFH 18, for which the Panzer II chassis became the primary carriage for the war. Most of these versions retained a pintle mounted 7.92 mm MG34 machine gun for defense against infantry and air attack.
Mobility
All production versions of the Panzer II were fitted with a 140 hp, gasoline fuelled six-cylinder Maybach HL 62 TRM engine and ZF transmissions. Models A, B, and C had a top speed of 40 km/h (25 mph). Models D and E had a Christie suspension and a better transmission, giving a top road speed of 55 km/h (35 mph) but the cross country speed was much lower than previous models, so the Model F reverted back to the previous Leaf Spring type suspension. All versions had a range of 200 km (125 miles).
Crew
The Panzer II had a crew of three. The driver sat in the forward hull. The commander sat in a seat in the turret, and was responsible for aiming and firing the guns, while a loader/radio operator stood on the floor of the tank under the turret.
Variants
Limited production/development
Panzer II Ausf. a (PzKpfw IIa)
Not to be confused with the later Ausf. A (sole difference being capitalization of the letter A), the Ausf. a was the first limited production version of the Panzer II to be built, and was subdivided into three sub-variants. The Ausf. a/1 was first built with a cast idler wheel with rubber tyre, but this was replaced after ten production examples with a welded part. The Ausf. a/2 improved engine access issues. The Ausf. a/3 included improved suspension and engine cooling. In general, the specifications for the Ausf. a models was similar, and a total of 75 were produced from May 1936 to February 1937 by Daimler-Benz and MAN. The Ausf. a was considered the 1 Serie under the LaS 100 name.
• Specifications
Ausführung b
•
o Crew: 3
o Engine: Maybach HL57TR with 6 gear transmission plus reverse
o Weight: 7.6 tons
o Dimensions: length 4.38 m; width 2.14 m; height 1.95 m
o Mobility: speed 40 km/h; range 200 km
o Communications: FuG5 radio
o Primary armament: 2 cm KwK 30 L/55 gun with TZF4 gun sight, turret mounted
o Secondary armament: MG34 7.92 mm machine gun, coaxially mounted
o Ammunition: 180 20 mm and 2,250 7.92 mm carried
o Turret: 360° hand traverse with elevation of +20° and depression to -9.5°
o Armour: 13 mm front, side, and rear; 8 mm top; 5 mm bottom
Panzer II Ausf. b (PzKpfw IIb)
Again, not to be confused with the later Ausf. B, the Ausf. b was a second limited production series embodying further developments, primarily a heavy reworking of suspension components giving a wider track and a longer hull. Length was increased to 4.76 m although width and height were constant. Additionally, a Maybach HL62TR engine was used with new drivetrain components to match. Deck armor for the superstructure and turret roof was increased to 10-12 mm. Total weight was increased to 7.9 m. 25 were built by Daimler-Benz and MAN. in February and March 1937.
Panzer II Ausf. c (PzKpfw IIc)
As the last of the developmental limited production series of Panzer IIs, the Ausf. c came very close to matching the mass production configuration, with a major change to the suspension with the replacement of the six small road wheels with five larger independently sprung road wheels and an additional return roller bringing that total to four. The tracks were further modified and fenders widened. Total length was increased to 4.81 m and width to 2.22 m, while height was still about 1.99 m. At least 25 of this model were produced from March through July 1937.
Panzer II Ausf. A (PzKpfw IIA)

Ausführung C
The first true production model, the Ausf. A included an armor upgrade to 14.5 mm on all sides, as well as a 14.5 mm floor plate, and an improved transmission. The Ausf. A entered production in July 1937.
Panzer II Ausf. B (PzKpfw IIB)
Introducing only minimal changes to the Ausf. A, the Ausf. B superseded it in production from December 1937.
Panzer II Ausf. C (PzKpfw IIC)
Few minor changes were made in the Ausf. C version, which became the standard production model from June 1938 through April 1940. A total of 1,113 examples of Ausf. c, A, B, and C tanks were built from March 1937 through April 1940 by Alkett, FAMO, Daimler-Benz, Henschel, MAN, MIAG, and Wegmann. These models were almost identical and were used in service interchangeably. This was the most widespread tank version of the Panzer II and performed the majority of the tank's service the panzer units during the war.
Panzer II Ausf. F (PzKpfw IIF)

Ausführung F
Continuing the conventional design of the Ausf. C, the Ausf. F was designed as a reconnaissance tank and served in the same role as the earlier models. The hull was redesigned with a flat 35 mm plate on its front, and armor of the superstructure and turret were built up to 30 mm on the front with 15 mm to the sides and rear. There was some minor alteration of the suspension and a new commander's copula as well. Weight was increased to 9.5 tons. 524 were built from March 1941 to December 1942 as the final major tank version of the Panzer II series.
Panzer II Ausf. D (PzKpfw IID)
Ausführung D/E
With a completely new Christie suspension with four road wheels, the Ausf. D was developed as a cavalry tank for use in the pursuit and reconnaissance roles. Only the turret was the same as the Ausf. C model, with a new hull and superstructure design and the use of a Maybach HL62TRM engine driving a seven-gear transmission (plus reverse). The design was shorter (4.65 m) but wider (2.3 m) and taller (2.06 m) than the Ausf. C. Speed was increased to 55 km/h. A total of 43 Ausf. D and Ausf. E tanks were built from May 1938 through August 1939 by MAN, and they served in Poland. They were withdrawn in March 1940 for conversion to other types.
Panzer II Ausf. E (PzKpfw IIE)
Similar to the Ausf. D, the Ausf. E improved some small items of the suspension, but was otherwise similar and served alongside the Ausf. D.
Panzer II Ausf. J (PzKpfw IIJ)
Continued development of the reconnaissance tank concept led to the much up-armored Ausf. J, which used the same concept as the PzKpfw IF of the same period, under the experimental designation VK1601. Heavier armor was added, bringing protection up to 80 mm on the front and 50 mm to the sides and rear, with 25 mm roof and floor plates, increasing total weight to 18 tons. Equipped with the same Maybach HL45P as the PzKpfw IF, top speed was reduced to 31 km/h. Primary armament was the 2 cm KwK38 L/55 gun. 22 were produced by MAN between April and December 1942, and seven were issued to the German 12th Panzer Division on the Eastern Front.
Panzerkampfwagen II ohne Aufbau
One use for obsolete Panzer II tanks which had their turrets removed for use in fortifications was as utility carriers. A number of chassis not used for conversion to self-propelled guns were instead handed over to the Engineers for use as personnel and equipment carriers.
Panzer II Flamm
Based on the same suspension as the Ausf. D and Ausf. E tank versions, the Flamm used a new turret mounting a single MG34 7.92 mm machine gun, and two remotely controlled flamethrowers mounted in small turrets at each front corner of the vehicle. Each flamethrower could cover the front 180° arc, while the turret traversed 360°. 1,800 7.92 mm rounds were carried and 320 l of fuel for the flamethrowers along with four tanks of compressed nitrogen. The nitrogen tanks were built into armored boxes along each side of the superstructure. Armor was 30 mm to the front and 14.5 mm to the side and rear, although the turret was increased to 20 mm to the sides and rear. Total weight was 12 tons and dimensions were increased to a length of 4.9 m and width of 2.4 m although it was a bit shorter at 1.85 m tall. A FuG2 radio was carried. Total weight was 12 tons. Two sub-variants existed: the Ausf. A and Ausf. B which differed only in minor suspension components. 155 Flamm vehicles were built from January 1940 through March 1942, mostly on new chassis, but 43 using existing Ausf. D and Ausf. E chassis. The Flamm was deployed in Russia but was not very successful due to its limited armor, and survivors were soon withdrawn for conversion.
5 cm PaK 38 auf Fahrgestell Panzerkampfwagen II
Conceived along the same lines as the Marder II, the 5 cm PaK 38 was an expedient solution to mount the 50 mm antitank gun on the Panzer II chassis. However, the much greater effectiveness of the 75 mm antitank gun made this option less desirable and it is not know how many field modifications were made to this effect.
7.5 cm PaK 40 auf Fahrgestell Panzerkampfwagen II (Marder II)
While the 7.62 cm PaK 36(r) was a good stopgap measure, the 7.5 cm PaK 40 mounted on the tank chassis of the Ausf. F resulted in a better overall fighting machine. New production amounted to 576 examples from June 1942 to June 1943 as well as the conversion of 75 tanks after new production had stopped. The work was done by Daimler-Benz, FAMO, and MAN. A much improved superstructure for the 7.62 cm mounting was built giving a lower profile. The Marder II became a key piece of equipment and served with the Germans on all fronts through the end of the war.
Leichte Feldhaubitze 18 auf Fahrgestell Panzerkampfwagen II (Wespe)
After the development of the Fahrgestell Panzerkampfwagen II for mounting th sIG 33, Alkett designed a version mounting a 10.5 cm leichte Feldhaubitze 18/2 (leFH 18)in a built-up superstructure. The Panzer II proved an efficient chassis for this weapon and it became the only widely produced self-propelled 105 mm howitzer for Germany. Between February 1943 and June 1944, 676 were built by FAMO and it served with German forces on all major fronts.
Munitions Selbsfahrlafette auf Fahrgestell Panzerkampfwagen II
To support the Wespe in operation, a number of Wespe chassis were completed without installation of the howitzer, instead functioning as ammunition carriers. They carried 90 rounds of 105 mm caliber. 159 were produced alongside the Wespe. These could be converted in the field by installation of the leFH 18 if needed.
Panzerkampfwagen II mit Schwimmkörper
One of Germany's first attempts at developing an amphibious tank, the Schwimmkörper was a device built by Gebr Sachsenberg which consisted of two large pontoons that attached to either side of a Panzer II tank. The tanks were specially sealed and some modification to the engine exhaust and cooling was needed. The pontoons were detachable. The modified tanks were issued to the German 18th Panzer Regiment which was formed in 1940. However, with cancellation of Operation Sealion, the plan to invade England, the tanks were used in the conventional manner by the regiment on the Eastern Front.
7.62 cm PaK 36(r) auf Fahrgestell Panzerkampfwagen II Ausf. D
After a lack of success with conventional and flame tank variants on the Christie chassis, it was decided to use the remaining chassis to mount captured Soviet antitank guns. The hull and suspension was unmodified from the earlier models, but the superstructure was built up to provide a large fighting compartment on top of which was mounted a Soviet 76.2 mm antitank gun, which while not turretted, did have significant traverse. Only developed as an interim solution, the vehicle was clearly too tall and poorly protected, but had a powerful weapon and was better than what the Germans had at the time.
• Specifications
o Crew: 4
o Engine: Maybach HL62TRM driving a transmission with 7 forward and 3 reverse gears
o Weight: 11.5 tons
o Dimensions: length 5.65 m; width 2.3 m; height 2.6 m
o Performance: speed 55 km/h; range 220 km
o Radio: FuG Spr d
o Main armament: 7.62 cm PaK 36(r) L/51.5 antitank gun forward mounted using a ZF3 X 8 sight with 30 rounds of ammunition on board
o Secondary armament: 7.92 mm MG34 machine gun on pintle mount with 900 rounds carried
o Field of fire: traverse 50°; elevation 16°; depression -5°
o Armor: 30 mm front hull/superstructure; 14.5 mm side/rear hull/superstructure and gun shield; 5 mm floor plate
Panzer II Ausf. L (PzKpfw IIL) "Luchs"
A light reconnaissance tank, the Ausf. L was the only Panzer II design with the overlapping road wheels to enter series production, with 100 being build from September 1943 to January 1944 in addition to conversion of the four Ausf. M tanks. Originally given the experimental designation VK1303, it was adopted under the alternate name Panzerspähwagen II and given the popular name Luchs (Lynx). The Lynx was larger than the Ausf. G in most dimensions (length 4.63 m; height 2.21 m; width 2.48 m). It was equipped with a six speed transmission (plus reverse), and could reach a speed of 60 km/h with a range of 290 km. FuG12 and FuG Spr a radio were installed, while 330 rounds of 20 mm and 2,250 rounds of 7.92 mm ammunition were carried. Total vehicle weight was 13 tons.
Limited production, experiments and prototypes
Panzer II Ausf. G (PzKpfw IIG)
The fourth and final suspension configuration used for the Panzer II tanks was the five overlapping road wheel configuration termed Schachtellaufwerk by the Germans. This was used as the basis for the redesign of the Panzer II into a reconnaissance tank with high speed and good off-road performance. The Ausf. G was the first Panzer II to use this configuration, and was developed with the experimental designation VK901. There is no record of the Ausf. G being issued to combat units, and only twelve full vehicles were built from April 1941 to February 1942 by MAN. The turrets were subsequently issued for use in fortifications.
• Specifications
o Crew: 3
o Engine: Maybach HL66P driving a five speed transmission (plus reverse)
o Weight: 10.5 tons
o Dimensions: length 4.24 m; width 2.38 m; height 2.05 m
o Performance: speed 50 km/h; range 200 km
o Main armament: 20 mm EW141 automatic cannon, turret mounted with TZF10 sight
o Secondary armament: 7.92 mm MG34 machine gun, coaxially mounted
o Turret: 360° hand traverse
o Armor: 30 mm front, 15 mm sides and rear
Panzer II Ausf. H (PzKpfw IIH)
Given experimental designation VK903, the Ausf. H was intended as the production model of the Ausf. G, with armor for the sides and rear increased to 20 mm and a new four speed transmission (plus reverse) similar to that of the PzKpfw 38(t) nA. Only prototypes were ever completed by the time of cancellation in September 1942.
5 cm PaK 38 auf Panzerkampfwagen II
Planned as a light tank destroyer, the first two prototypes were delivered in 1942 but by then their 50 mm gun was not sufficient and the program was cancelled in favor of 75 mm weapons.
Brückenleger auf Panzerkampfwagen II
After failed attempts to use the Panzer I as a chassis for a bridge layer, work moved to the Panzer II, led by Magirus. It is not known how many of these conversions were made, but four were known to have been in service with the German 7th Panzer Division in May 1940.
15 cm sIG 33 auf Fahrgestell Panzerkampfwagen II
One of the first gun mount variants of the Panzer II design was to emplace a 15 cm sIG 33 heavy infantry gun on a turretless Panzer II chassis. The prototype utilized an Ausf. B tank chassis, but it was quickly realized that it was not sufficient for the mounting. A new, longer chassis incorporating an extra road wheel was designed and built, named the Fahrgestell Panzerkampfwagen II. An open-topped 15 mm thick armored superstructure sufficient against small arms and shrapnel was provided around the gun. this was not high enough to give full protection for the crew while manning the gun, although they were still covered directly to the front by the tall gun shield. Only 12 were built in November and December of 1941. These served with the German 707th Heavy Infantry Gun Company (SP) and German 708th Heavy Infantry Gun Company (SP) in North Africa until their destruction in 1943.
• Specifications
o Crew: 4
o Engine: Maybach HL62TRM driving a six speed transmission (plus reverse)
o Weight: 11.2 tons
o Dimensions: length 5.41 m; width 2.6 m; height 1.9 m
o Performance: speed 40 km/h; range 160 km
o Main armament: 15 cm sIG 33 L/11 heavy infantry gun in forward mounting (10° traverse) with Rblf36 sight and 30 rounds stored
o Secondary armament: 7.92 mm MG34 machine gun on loose mount
o Armor: 30 mm front hull; 15 mm gun shield, sides, and rear hull; 5 mm floor plate
o Bergepanzerwagen auf Panzerkampfwagen II Ausf. J
A single example of an Ausf. J with a jib in place of its turret was found operating as an armored recovery vehicle. There is no record of an official program for this vehicle.
Panzer Selbstfahlafette 1c
Developed in prototype form only, this was one of three abortive attempts to use the Panzer II chassis for mounting of a 5 cm PaK 38 gun, this time on the chassis of the Ausf. G. Two examples were produced which had similar weight to the tank version, and both were put in front-line service, but production was not undertaken as priority was given to heavier armed models.
VK1602
Never getting an official Panzerkampfwagen title, the VK1602 was a project which did not reach the stage of completed prototypes. It was intended as a 5 cm KwK39 armed companion to the Ausf. L, with a Maybach HL157P engine driving an eight speed transmission (plus reverse).
Panzer II Ausf. M (PzKpfw IIM)
Using the same chassis as the Ausf. H, the Ausf. M replaced the turret with a larger, open-topped turret containing a 5 cm KwK39/1 gun. 4 were built by MAN in August 1942, but did not see service.

References:
Wikapedia

KG_Swampfox
04-24-2006, 10:49 PM
Gents,

Now the T-70 and the SU-76. I personally like using T-70s in CMBB. They are fast, carry some tungsten rounds, and are cheap. They a great for scouting and infantry support. The SU-76s are more difficult to use offensively, as they are vulnerable to plunging fire. Defensively, they are better as they can be used in ambush. Of intrest is the SU-76i, which was a captured PZIII or STuG III hull, rearmed with a 76.2 MM gun.

Swamp

T-70 light tank and SU-76 series assault gun

The T-70 light tank was used by the Army of the Soviet Union during World War Two, replacing both the T-60 scout tank for reconnaissance and the T-50 light infantry tank for infantry support. The T-80 light tank was a more advanced version of the T-70 with a two-man turret—it was only produced in very small numbers when light tank production was abandoned.
The T-70 was armed with a 45-mm L/46 gun Model 38 with forty-five rounds carried, and a coaxial 7.62-mm DT machine gun. The tank was operated by a driver and a commander who loaded and fired the gun. Armour thickness on the turret front was 60 mm, hull front and sides: 45 mm, rear and turret sides: 35 mm, roof and bottom: 10 mm.
Production history
By 1942, light tanks were considered inadequate by the Red Army, unable to keep up with the T-34 medium tank and unable to penetrate the armour of most German tanks. But they could be produced by small factories which were unable to handle the large components of medium and heavy tanks. The T-70 was an attempt to remedy some of the shortcomings of the T-60 scout tank, which had very poor cross-country mobility, thin armour, and an inadequate 20-mm gun. It also replaced the very short production run of the T-50 light infantry tank, which was more sophisticated, but also much too complicated and expensive to produce.
The T-70 was designed by N. Astrov's design team at Factory No. 38 in Kirov.
The first batch of T-70s were built with a GAZ-202 automotive engine on each side of the hull, one driving each track. This arrangement was seen to be a serious problem, even before the first tanks were issued. It was quickly redesigned as the T-70M (although it continued to be referred to as just T-70), with the engines in-line on the right side of the tank and a normal transmission and differential. The conical turret was replaced by one more easily welded out of plate armour, and moved to the left side of the hull.
Curiously, even after the T-70's production line was redesigned, SU-76 self-propelled guns started to be built with the same unsatisfactory unynchronized two-engine layout, and all of them were later recalled for factory rebuilding as SU-76Ms.
T-70s were put into production in March 1942 at Zavod No. 37, and along with T-60 production at GAZ and Zavod No. 38. They completely replaced T-60 production in September 1942. Production ended in October 1943, with 8,226 vehicles completed.
In April 1942, the conical turrets on early-production machines were replaced with new welded turrets. The end of the T-70's production run was built with two 85-hp GAZ-203 engines, a Mark 4 commander's periscope replacing a vision slit, and other improvements.
The T-70 remained in service until 1948.
Decline of light tanks

Soviet light tanks were obsolescent throughout the war because they were lacking in all three characteristics of a tank: in firepower, mobility and protection. Additionally, the one-man turret of the Soviet light tanks made co-ordinating a tank platoon nearly impossible, because the commanders were kept busy acquiring targets, loading and firing the main gun and machine gun, and commanding their drivers.
The infantry tank role was already considered obsolete. The SU-76 self-propelled gun was better suited for infantry support, its 76.2-mm gun capable of firing a larger high explosive shell. Industrial resources could be redirected from light tanks to building the simpler SU-76s.
In an attempt to compensate, the T-80 light tank was designed, a more robust version of the T-70 with a two-man turret. But there was enough lend-lease equipment available to fulfil the reconnaissance role of the light tanks, and armoured cars were better suited for light scouting and liaison. All light tank production was cancelled in October 1943, after only about 120 T-80s were built. No further light tanks would be built during the war.
In November 1943 Red Army tank units were reorganized: light tanks were replaced by the T-34 and new T-34-85, which started production the following month. Light tanks continued to be used in self-propelled artillery and some other units.
The Soviets did start development work on an amphibious light tank in 1945, resulting in the post-war PT-76, introduced in 1954.

SU-76 (Samokhodnaja Ustanovka 76)
History
The SU-76 was based on a lengthened version of the T-70 tank chassis. Its simple construction made it the most-produced Soviet armoured vehicle of World War II, except for the T-34 tank.
In general, it was not popular with its crews, who nicknamed it Suchka ('little bitch') or Golozhopiy Ferdinand ('naked-ass Ferdinand'). But some crews loved this vehicle for its simplicity, reliability, and easy use. One such person was Rem Nikolaevich Ulanov, who is a distinguished Great Patriotic War veteran. In his younger days he was a mechanic-driver and later a commander of a SU-76. He and some other soldiers called their SU-76 Colombina after female personage of Renaissance Italian Commedia del'Arte.
The design work of SU-76 had begun in November 1942, when the State Defense Committee ordered to build infantry support self-propelled guns armed with ZiS-3 76.2-mm gun and M-30 122-mm howitzer. The base of light tank T-70 was chosen for mounting ZiS-3 gun. However it was too short for good gun mounting and it was lengthened and one extra road wheel per side added. In the rush for fast completion of the order a quite unreliable power plant was installed in the first mass production SU-76. It utilized two automobile engines GAZ-202 in "parallel" junction. Practically, every track had its own engine and it was quite difficult for the driver to control two engines simultaneously. Moreover, the strong vibrations lead to quick mechanical failure of engine or transmission units. These vehicles were completely closed by armour. After producing 320 SU-76 mass production was halted by authorities' order to fix the problems. Two chief designers of GAZ plant, N. A. Astrov and A. A. Lipgart, quickly changed the power plant to reliable T-70 design. Also the roof of battle compartment was removed for better gun servicing. This modification, called SU-76M, was relaunched in mass production in early 1943. This pause was the cause for introducing SU-76i as a temporary replacement for SU-76. After the pause, GAZ and two factories in Kirov and Mytishchi produced 13932 SU-76M (the big part, over 9000 vehicles, was built by GAZ solely). Mass production of SU-76M ceased in the second half of 1945. Now the SU-76Ms (due to their vast number in comparison with original design SU-76) are often referred in texts, public radio and TV broadcasting as simply SU-76s with index "M" omitted. SU-76 was the base for first Soviet tracked armoured anti-aircraft vehicle ZSU-37. The mass production of ZSU-37 was continued after ceasing SU-76M production. SU-76M was quickly withdrawn from Soviet Army service after the Second World War end.
Variants
• OSU-76 – Experimental model based on T-60 tank chassis
• SU-76 – Based on lengthened T-70 tank chassis, with the inferior dual-engine arrangement of earlier T-70s. Only a few were produced, and quickly withdrawn from front line service.
• SU-76M – main production model
• SU-76B – with completely enclosed armoured crew compartment. Only a few were produced.
The unrelated SU-76i (1943) was based on German Pz Kpfw III and StuG III chassis, armed with a ZiS-5 76.2mm gun. About 1,200 of these captured vehicles, many from Stalingrad, were converted at Zavod No. 38 by adding a new enclosed superstructure. It was issued to tank and self-propelled gun units starting in autumn 1943.
Combat history

The SU-76M virtually replaced infantry tanks in the close support role. Its thin armour and open top made it vulnerable to antitank weapons, grenades, and small arms. Its low weight and low ground pressure gave it good mobility.
As all Soviet self-propelled guns SU-76M combines three main battlefield roles: light assault gun, mobile anti-tank weapon and mobile gun for indirect fire. As a light assault gun SU-76M had good estimation from Soviet infantrymen (in contrast with their own crews). It has more powerful weapons than any previous light tank for close support and it was simple to communicate between infantry and SU-76M crew due to open gun mounting. This was extremely useful in urban combat where good teamwork between infantry and AFVs is a key to success. Although open battle compartment is highly vulnerable to rifle fire and hand grenades it very often saves crew's lives in the case of hit by hollow-shaped Panzerfaust projectile (for closed vehicle crew this hit was an imminent death).
SU-76M was a good weapon against any medium or light German tank. It can also knock-out Panther tank by hit in a side armour or a gun mask, but ZiS-3 power against heavy Tiger tanks was not sufficient. Soviet manuals for SU-76M crews usually instructed gunner to aim in tracks or gun barrel in the case against Tiger tank. For improving SU-76M anti-armour capabilities the subcaliber armour-piercing (HVAP) and hollow charge projectiles were introduced. This gave SU-76M better chance against heavily armoured German vehicles. Low profile, quietness and good mobility were another advantages of SU-76M in anti-tank actions. This was ideal for organizing ambushes and sudden flank or rear strikes with involving close combat when ZiS-3 gun power was sufficient against any German AFV. But such operations required tactically skilled commanders and serious defensive preparations. So, it is not correct to classify SU-76M as tank destroyer or JagdPanzer in German military terminology. In reality SU-76M was a mobile anti-tank gun for infantry support and closely resembled German Marder II vehicle. As a result, it can be considered as PanzerJäger in German self-propelled gun classification.
The maximum elevation angle of ZiS-3 gun in SU-76M was greatest amongst all other Soviet self-propelled guns. The maximum indirect fire distance was nearly 17 km. So SU-76Ms sometimes were used as light artillery vehicles (such as German Wespe) for bombardments and indirect fire support. But the power of 76.2-mm shells was not sufficient in many cases. Although it is should be noted that SU-76M was the single Soviet vehicle able to operate in swamps with minimal support from engineers. During Belarus liberation campaign in 1944 it was extremely useful for organizing sneak attacks through swamps, bypassing heavy German defenses blocking hard soil ways. Usually only lightly armed infantry could pass through wide swampy areas (so a few number of enemy machine guns was sufficient to repel the attack or to stop the advancement). With SU-76M support Soviet soldiers and engineers could effectively destroy enemy strongpoints and push on with success. After forcing the swamp SU-76M could be used as light artillery or anti-tank gun against enemy counterattacks.
The SU-76M had a big number of available ammunition types. They included armour-piercing (usual, with ballistic nose and subcaliber hyper-velocity), hollow charge, high explosive, fragmentary, shrapnel and incendiary projectiles. This made SU-76M true multi-purpose light armoured fighting vehicle.

References: wikipedia

KG_Swampfox
05-03-2006, 01:15 PM
Gentlemen,
The Panzer III, a tank with great lines, decent speed, and with the 50MM/L60 decent fire power for the early 40's. The posted thumbnail of the Afrika Korps MKIII appears to be a E or an F model, I'm leaning towards an F myself.
The MKIII STuG, which is based on a MKIII chassis will get its own review, as its impact exceeds that of the MKIII.

Swamp

Panzerkampfwagen III
Sd. Kfz. 141 - Ausf. A-H (1937-1941)
Sd. Kfz. 141/1 - Ausf. J-M (1941-1943)
Sd. Kfz. 141/2 - Ausf. N (1942-1943)
Panzerkampfwagen III Ausf A

As early as 1934/35, General Heinz Guderian envisioned two basic types to act as the most numerous equipment for the future German Panzer Divisions. The first vehicle was to be armed with anti-tank gun and two machine guns and second one was to be a support vehicle armed with a larger caliber gun. The first one eventually became known as Panzerkampfwagen III, which was to be a standard tank for the three light companies of a tank battalion. The second one became known as Panzerkampfwagen IV.

In 1935, development orders for a 15-ton full-tracked vehicle based on the specifications by Waffenamt were issued to MAN (Nurnberg), Daimler-Benz AG (Berlin-Marienfelde), Rheinmetall-Borsig (Berlin) and Krupp AG (Essen). In order to maintain secrecy, new vehicle was known as Zugfuhrerwagen (ZW) - platoon commander's vehicle. The vehicle was designated Versuchkraftfahrzeug 619, Mittlerer Traktor (Medium Tractor) and 3.7cm Geschutz-Panzerwagen.
Panzerkampfwagen III's development began with a conflict between Waffenamt (the Ordnance Department) and the Inspector for Mechanized Troops about the main armament. Waffenamt selected and was satisfied with 37mm gun, while the Inspector for Mechanized Troops demanded 50mm gun. In the end, 37mm gun was chosen as the main armament of the new vehicle. The decision was based on the fact that the infantry was already equipped with standard 37mm Pak 35/36 L/45 anti-tank gun as well as that only one gun and one type of ammunition had to be produced. The turret and turret ring were still capable of mounting heavier gun as it was selected by the Inspector for Mechanized Troops. Armor protection was to be heavier in the front rather than rear since, new vehicle was to be used in forward elements of assault tank formations. The top speed was specified to be 40km/h. The vehicle was to be operated by the crew of five men, with commander, gunner and loader in the turret and the driver and radio operator in the hull front. The communication between crewmembers was through the use of intercom system. Panzer III was the first of German Panzers to be equipped with intercom system for in-tank communications. Later on all of Panzers were equipped with this device which, proved to be very effective during combat.

Krupp's ZW prototype designated as MKA featured leafsprings and bogie wheel mountings type of a suspension. In turn, many features of this vehicle were used in the design of Panzerkampfwagen IV, which was designed by Krupp.

PzKpfw III design was composed of four sections - hull, turret, and front superstructure with the opening for the turret and rear superstructure with the engine deck. Each section was of a welded construction and all four were bolted together. The hull was divided into two main compartments divided by a bulkhead. The front compartment housed the gearbox and steering mechanism and the rear one both the fighting and engine compartment. Basic hull, turret, superstructure and crew layout remained unchanged throughout the production life of Panzerkampfwagen III series.
After modifications, first Panzerkampfwagen III Ausf A (1-Serie) was produced in May of 1937, by Daimler-Benz with total of 10 produced until the end of 1937 (chassis numbers 60101-60110). Some sources state that as many as 15 were manufactured. Only eight of Ausf As were armed (and equipped units of 1st, 2nd and 3rd Panzer Division and took part in Anschluss, take-over of Sudetenland and Polish Campaign) and other unarmed Ausf As were used for further testing.

In 1937, Ausf B (2-Serie) was produced by Daimler-Benz with total of 15 produced (chassis numbers 60201-60215). Number of Ausf Bs saw service during the Polish Campaign. In October of 1940, five Ausf B tanks were modified and used as prototypes of Sturmgeschutz III series.

In June of 1937, next variant Ausf C (3a-Serie) was produced by Daimler-Benz and its production ended in January of 1938 with total of 15 produced (chassis numbers 60301-60315). Number of Ausf Cs saw service during the Polish Campaign.

In January of 1938, next variant Ausf D (3b-Serie) was produced by Daimler-Benz and its production ended in 1939 with total of 55 produced (chassis numbers 60221-60225 and 60316-60340). Only 30 Ausf Ds produced in two groups of 15 were armed and other 25 unarmed Ausf Ds were used for further testing. Number of Ausf Ds saw service during the Polish Campaign and in Norway.

Early models of Panzer III (Ausf A, B, C and D) were pre-prototypes of the entire series produced exclusively by Daimler-Benz. All were unsuitable for large-scale production and each new model was an improved version of the previous one. Each model featured different type of suspension e.g. Ausf A - individual coil springs, Ausf B - two sets of leaf springs, Ausf C - three sets of leaf springs and Ausf D - angled leaf springs. Ausf A, B, C and D were powered by 250hp petrol Maybach HL 108 TR engines with 5 or 6 speed Zahnradfabrik gearbox. All early models were armed with 37mm KwK 35/36 L/46.5 gun and three 7.92mm MG 34 machine guns (two in the turret and one in the hull). Their armor protection ranged from 5 to 15mm offering protection only against anti-tank rifle and machine gun fire. The reason behind inadequate armor protection was a result of Daimler-Benz keeping the vehicle in designated weight range of 15 tons. Some of early models were up-armored and had their maximum armor protection increased to 30mm. Ausf A, B, C had simple drum shaped "dustbin" commander's cupola, while Ausf D had cast cupola similar to that of PzKpfw IV Ausf B.

Few of early Panzer IIIs saw actual combat (with units of 1st, 2nd and 3rd Panzer Division) during the Polish Campaign or were troop tested (1937- February 1940). In February of 1940, existing number of early Panzer IIIs was handed over to NSKK for training purposes. Afterwards, only few Ausf D saw service with PzAbt zbV 40 (along with PzKpfw NbFz VI) during fighting in Norway in April/May of 1940, followed by service with PzAbt zbV 40 in Finland, 1941/42.
Raw Materials Used in Production of PzKpfw III
Steel: 39000.00kg
Tin: 1.40kg
Copper: 60.10kg
Aluminium:90.40kg
Lead: 71.10kg
Zinc: 49.10kg
Rubber: 125.00kg
In December of 1938, Ausf E (4-serie) entered production and 96 were produced by Daimler-Benz, Henschel and MAN when production ended in October of 1939 (chassis numbers 60401-60496). It was the first PzKpfw III that was produced in significant number. The basic design remained unchanged from its predecessor but it featured new independent torsion bar suspension, designed by Ferdinand Porsche for the automotive industry in 1930s. It was composed of six roadwheels and three return rollers. Ausf E was armed with 37mm KwK 35/36 L/46.5 gun and three 7.92mm MG 34 machine guns (two in the turret and one in the hull). Its armor protection ranged from 12 to 30mm. During production escape hatches were installed on both sides of the hull and vision port was added on the superstructure side for the radio-operator. Driver's visor was provided with an upper and lower sliding shutter, which could be closed together. Also two-piece side hatches were installed in the turret. Unlike its predecessors, Ausf E was powered by new 300hp petrol Maybach HL120TR engine with a new Maybach Variorex 10 speed gearbox. It was also heavier than all previous models, which were in 16 ton range and Ausf E was 19.5 tons heavy. From August of 1940 until 1942, all Ausf E tanks were rearmed with 50mm KwK 38 L/42 gun mounted in an external mantlet housing one MG. At the same time, armor protection was increased by installation of 30mm armor plates to the hull front and rear as well as superstructure front. During service number of Ausf E tanks was also reworked to Ausf F standard.
In September of 1939, another new variant - Ausf F (5-serie) entered production. Until July of 1940, 435 were produced by Daimler-Benz, Henschel, MAN, Alkett and FAMO (chassis numbers 61001-61650). It was refined version of Ausf E and it did not feature any significant modifications or changes other than improved Maybach HL120TRM engine and modified upper hull nose (air intakes). First 335 Ausf F tanks were armed with 37mm KwK 35/36 L/46.5 gun and three 7.92mm MG 34 machine guns (two in the turret and one in the hull). Some last 100 tanks were factory armed with 50mm KwK 38 L/42 gun mounted in an external mantlet housing one MG. Ausf F vehicles were fitted with a hull rear mounted rack of five smoke generators remotely released from the turret. Some vehicles were also mounted with a stowage box at the rear of the turret. From August of 1940 until 1942, all 37mm Ausf F just as Ausf E tanks were rearmed with 50mm KwK 38 L/42 gun. They also had their armor protection improved at the same time as it was done to Ausf E tanks. Only 40 Ausf F tanks with 50mm KwK 38 L/42 guns were rushed into service before the end of the French Campaign and saw little or no combat. There is still controversy surrounding this as it is reported that first PzKpfw III armed with 50mm guns entered production in July of 1940. First production Sturmgeschutz III assault guns / tank destroyers were based on Panzerkampfwagen III Ausf F chassis and components. In 1942/43, number of Ausf F tanks was rearmed with 50mm KwK 39 L/60 gun. Rearmed and up-armored Ausf F tanks remained in service as late as June of 1944 (e.g. 116th Panzer Division in Normandy).
Interesting fact is that the study report of captured PzKpfw III Ausf F made by the British in 1942, was then sent to United States Army Ordnance Department where it was decided to utilize copy of German torsion bar suspension system in future American tanks (e.g. M18 Gun Motor Carriage, M24 Chaffee, M26 Pershing etc.).
In 1940/41, attempts were made to standardize the production of Panzer III and Panzer IV. Few prototypes based on Panzer III Ausf G/H with new large overlapping roadwheels and FAMO suspension were produced - PzKpfw III Ausf G/H mit Schachtellaufwerk. Since 1940, prototypes were used for testing and training purposes. Further development was halted and in 1943/44, prototypes were fitted with dozers and were used to clean up the streets of bombed cities. This suspension was later adopted in Tiger and Panther.
From April of 1940 to February of 1941, 600 new Ausf G (6-serie) tanks were produced by Daimler-Benz, Henschel, MAN, Alkett, Wegmann, MNH and FAMO (chassis numbers 65001-65950). Ausf G was a slight improvement over previous Ausf E and Ausf F tanks. Some 50 Ausf G tanks were armed with 37mm KwK 35/36 L/46.5 gun mounted in an internal mantlet, while the rest with 50mm KwK 38 L/42 gun mounted in an external mantlet. Both 37mm and 50mm tanks had additional two MG 34 machine guns, one in the turret and other in the hull. Armor protection ranged from 12mm to 30mm, although majority of the protection ranged from 21mm to 30mm. Also new pivoting visor for the driver (Fahrersehklappe 30) was installed. The turret was modified and mounted on the roof with a fan exhaust as well as one signal port was eliminated. Mid-production vehicles were mounted with new type of commander's cupola as used in PzKpfw IV Ausf E, F and G, which became standard on all later models of PzKpfw III. Late production vehicles had wider 400mm tracks instead of standard 360mm tracks. Ausf G was the first to be mounted with the "Rommelkiste" (Rommelbox) - turret mounted storage bin (Gepack Kasten), which then became the standard on all PzKpfw IIIs. From August of 1940 until 1942, all 37mm Ausf G tanks just as Ausf E and F tanks were rearmed with 50mm KwK 38 L/42 gun. Vehicles send to North Africa were equipped with additional air filters and different cooling fan reduction ratio. They were designated Ausf G(Tp), Tp being short for Tropisch / Trop / Tropen - tropical. Small number of Ausf G tanks remained in service as late as September of 1944.

In October of 1940, Ausf H (7-serie) entered production. It was produced by MAN, Alkett, Henschel, Wegmann, MNH and MIAG until April of 1941 with 308 produced (chassis numbers 66001-66650). Ausf H featured newly designed turret to mount 50mm gun with a single 30mm armor rear plate. Armor protection ranged from 10mm to 30mm but hull front and rear as well as superstructure front had 30mm armor plates bolted on to them increasing the protection. The increase in armor protection in Ausf H neutralized the threat of British 2pdr, Soviet 45mm and American 37mm anti-tank guns. The new six speed Maybach SSG 77 gearbox replaced previously used Variorex. In addition, suspension system was slightly modified and new sprocket and idler wheels were used in Ausf H. Consequently, of weight increase to 21.8 tons due to armor protection increase, torsion bars were strengthen. Originally, Ausf H was armed with 50mm KwK 38 L/42 gun and two MG 34 machine guns but in 1942/43, they were rearmed with 50mm KwK 39 L/60 gun.

Ausf E, F, G and H were designated as Panzerkampfwagen III Ausf E, F, G and H / Sd.Kfz.141.

As of May 10th of 1940, Panzertruppe had only 381 Panzer III models in service, but 135 were lost during the Blitzkrieg in the West.

In March of 1941, last Sd.Kfz.141 and first Sd.Kfz.141/1 Panzerkampfwagen III tank - Ausf J (8-serie) entered production. It was produced by Daimler-Benz, MAN, Alkett, Henschel, Wegmann, MNH and MIAG until July of 1942 with 2616 produced (chassis numbers 68001-69100 and 72001-74100). Ausf J had its armor protection significantly improved as it ranged from 10mm to 50mm. Increase in armor was accompanied by installation of new driver's visor (Fahrersehklappe 50) and ballmount (Kugelblende 50) for a 7.92mm MG 34 machine gun in the hull. New type of front access hatches was installed along with new air intakes on the hull front. From April of 1942, 20mm spaced armor was added to the gun mantlet and/or superstructure front. 1549 vehicles produced from March of 1941 to July of 1942 were armed with 50mm KwK 38 L/42 gun and two MG 34 machine guns. Those vehicles were designated as PzKpfw III Ausf J / Sd.Kfz.141. 1067 vehicles produced from December of 1941 to July of 1942, armed with 50mm KwK 39 L/60 and two MG 34 machine guns. Those vehicles were designated as PzKpfw III Ausf J / Sd.Kfz.141/1. The only difference between both models was the main armament and ammunition stowage for 84 in contrast to previous 99 rounds. When encountered in North Africa, British nicknamed 50mm L/60 Ausf J - "Mark III Special" The 50mm L/60 gun was a significant improvement over the original 37mm gun, although it was still inadequate to deal with American M4 Sherman and Soviet T-34/76 tank. In 1941/42, there was an unsuccessful attempt by Krupp to mount Ausf J with Panzerkampfwagen IV Ausf G's turret to create new Panzerkampfwagen III variant designated Ausf K.

From August to November of 1942, 81 Ausf J tanks were produced as command tanks - Panzerbefehlswagen III mit 5cm KwK L/42 / Sd.Kfz.141. From March to September of 1943, additional 104 Ausf J were converted as well. The vehicle was basic Ausf J tank but lacked hull machine gun and carried less ammunition (75 rounds). It was fitted additional radio equipment and periscope.

In June of 1942, Ausf L tank entered production. 653 were produced by Daimler-Benz, MAN, Alkett, Henschel, Wegmann, MNH and MIAG until December of 1942 (chassis numbers 74101-75500). Ausf L was armed with 50mm KwK 39 L/60 gun and two 7.92mm MG 34 machine guns. Externally it was almost identical to late model Ausf J as it was developed by modifying it. The main difference was new torsion bar gun counter balance, which replaced the original the coil spring gun recoil mechanism. Armor protection of the front turret was increased from 30mm to 57mm and 20mm spaced armor was installed on the superstructure front and in many cases on the gun mantlet. The design of the vehicle was simplified as rear deck was modified (air-intakes and hatches) and early in production hull escape hatches, loader's vision port on the mantlet and turret side ports were removed. Ausf L was also mounted with new special system to transfer heated engine coolant from one vehicle to another. Single Ausf L was mounted with an experimental 75/55mm tapered-bore KwK0725 gun and was designated as PzKpfw III Ausf L mit Waffe 0725. Vehicles send to North Africa were equipped with additional air filters, modified oil filters different cooling fan reduction ratio and were designated as Ausf L(Tp). Ausf L was also first to be mounted with anti-aircraft machine gun mount (Fliegerbeschussgerat 41/42) on commander's cupola. This became standard on al new PzKpfw III tanks and was mounted on older models during service. Many were mounted with 5mm hull and turret armor skirts (Schurzen).
From October of 1942 to February of 1943, 250 new Ausf M (10-serie) tanks were produced by Wegmann, MIAG, MAN and MNH (chassis numbers 76101-77800). Ausf M was late production model Ausf L mounted with new wading equipment allowing wading up to depth of approximately 1.3m, in contrast to previous 0.8-0.9m. This led to all air inlets and outlets as well as other openings and joints being sealed, while modified muffler with closure-valve was installed high on the hull rear. The new system was developed and modified version used in Tauchpanzer III submersible wading tanks. The hull rear mounted rack of five smoke generators was replaced by three 90mm NbK dischargers mounted forward on both sides of the turret. Ausf M just as Ausf L was armed with 50mm KwK 39 L/60 gun and two 7.92mm MG 34 machine guns. Vehicles produced in 1943 were factory mounted with 5mm hull and turret armor skirts (Schurzen). Large number of Ausf M was converted to either Sturmgeschütz III or Ausf N.
From February of 1943 to April of 1943, 100 Ausf M tanks produced by MIAG in Braunsweig (chassis numbers 77609-77708) were converted by Wegmann in Kassel to Flammpanzer - flame-thrower tanks. New vehicles were designated as PzKpfw III (Fl) / Sd.Kfz 141/3. They were also commonly known as Flammpanzer III or Panzerflammwagen III. It was unmodified Ausf M tank with additional 30mm to 50mm armor plates welded on for protection to the hull front. This was done, as Flammpanzer III tanks had to get closer to their targets being vulnerable to enemy fire. In contrast to regular tanks, it was operated by three men crew composed of commander/flame gunner, radio operator/hull gunner and driver. The main gun and internal ammunition stowage were replaced with the flame-thrower and fuel tanks. This vehicle was armed with 14mm Flammenwerfer flame-thrower and two 7.92mm MG 34 machine guns. The flame-thrower was mounted in place of the original 50mm gun and concealed in a thick 1.5m long pipe made to appear as standard armament. The flame-thrower could lowered 8 degrees and raised 20 degrees. Each vehicle carried some 1020 liters of inflammable oil (Flammol) in two tanks inside the vehicle. Oil was pumped into the pipe by Koebe pump driven by two-stroke DKW engine and was ignited by an electric charge (Smitskerzen). The supply of oil allowed some 125 one second or some 80 to 81 two to three seconds long bursts. The maximum range of the flame-thrower was 60m using ignited oil and 50m using cold oil. The range also depended on the weather conditions.
Flammpanzer III was designed in mind with fighting in the urban areas such as Stalingrad, but it was never to reach its destination. Eventually, Flammpanzer III equipped Panzer Regiment's (Panzer Abteilung) Flame-thrower Platoons (Panzer-Flamm-Zug), each with seven vehicles. A report dated May 5th of 1941 gives the following distribution of the vehicles: 28 to Panzer Division Grossdeutschland, 15 to 6th Panzer Division, 14 to 1st Panzer Division, 14 to 24th Panzer Division, 14 to 26th Panzer Division and 7 to 16th Panzer Division along with single vehicle to Schule Wunsdorf. Report from 1943, states that from March to December, Flammpanzer III tanks were serving with following Panzer Divisions: 1st, 6th, 11th, 14th, 24th and Grossdeutschland in Russia and 16th and 26th in Italy. In July of 1943, 41 flame-thrower tanks were reported in service with 6th, 10th and Grossdeutschland Panzer Divisions in preparation for the attack on Kursk. Flammpanzer III's design proved to be unsuccessful and vehicles returned for repairs (35) were rebuilt into standard combat tanks or Sturmgeschutz III assault guns / tank destroyers. In November of 1944, only 10 out of original 100 were repaired and issued to Panzer-Flamm-Kompanie 351, which saw service as late as April of 1945 with Heeres Gruppe Sud. Today, Panzerkampfwagen III (Fl) (chassis number 77651) captured in Italy can be seen in Koblenz Museum in Germany after being transferred to the museum from Aberdeen Proving Grounds in U.S.A.
In June of 1942, last PzKpfw III model entered production. New model Ausf N was produced until August of 1943 by Henschel, Wegmann, MNH, MIAG and MAN (chassis numbers 73851-77800). Ausf N tanks were produced on Ausf J (3), L (447) and M (213) chassis with total of 663 made. 37 additional Ausf N tanks were converted from rebuilt older PzKpfw III tanks. PzKpfw III Ausf N was also known as Sturmpanzer III. Ausf N was the same as Ausf J, L and M with the main difference being its main armament. It was armed with short 75mm KwK 37 L/24, originally used in PzKpfw IV Ausf A to F1 tanks, which then rearmed with longer 75mm guns. Additional armament consisted of standard two MG 34 machine guns. The internal ammunition stowage was modified and 56 (based on Ausf L chassis) or 64 (based on Ausf M chassis) rounds were carried. Ausf N did not have spaced armor as previous models because of the weight of the new 75mm gun. Late production vehicles were fitted with modified type of commander's cupola with single hatch instead of two-piece one as well as one-piece side turret hatches. Number of late vehicles was mounted with commander's cupola used in PzKpfw IV Ausf G tanks. Vehicles produced from March of 1943 were factory mounted with 5mm hull and turret armor skirts (Schurzen). In addition, vehicles produced from early 1943 were factory applied with Zimmerit - anti-magentic paste. PzKpfw III Ausf N tanks were used for close support role. They were either assigned to Tiger Battalions (sPzAbt/sSSPzAbt) as a way to protect them from enemy infantry or to Panzer-Grenadier Divisions. Some source also state that variant designated Ausf O existed, although there is no proof of its existence.

The interesting fact is that in 1938, work began on the vehicles which were to replace newly introduced Panzerkampfwagen III and Panzerkampfwagen IV. Daimler-Benz was awarded contract for a new tank, which was to replace Panzerkampfwagen III - VK 2001 (III). It was a completely new design with new chassis and hull layout. It was also designated as GBK - Kampfwagen des Generalbevollmaechtigen (Battle Tank for the Commision for Standardization of Automotive Designs). The work on this tank stopped in December of 1941 and all efforts were focused on the development of a heavier tank - Panther.
Some of the later Panzer III variants were fitted with turret mounted storage bins (Gepack Kasten). Very common were the canister racks mounted on the turret and/or at the rear of the hull. During early stages of Operation Barbarossa in 1941, Panzer IIIs were equipped with single-axle trailers carrying extra fuel in order to increase their radius of operation. During production, PzKpfw III's design underwent many changes including various modifications made on the turret (e.g. cupola, gun mantlet, vision slots, hatches, armor skirts) and hull (e.g. escape hatch, armor skirts) and superstructure (e.g. air intakes, spaced armor, headlights arrangement) components. Since mid 1943, Panzer IIIs were mounted with Schurzen - 5mm armor skirts. During service and repairs, many Panzer III tanks were up-armored, rearmed and re-equipped with new equipment and components creating completely non-standard variants. Vehicles send to North Africa were equipped with additional air filters and different cooling fan reduction ratio. They were designated as (Tp), Tp being short for Tropisch / Trop / Tropen - tropical.

Panzerkampfwagen III saw action in small numbers during the invasion of Poland in September of 1939. Panzer III was designed as platoon commander's vehicle (Zugfuhrerwagen) and was Germany's first true main/medium battle tank. Design of Panzer III came from lessons learned from the combat tested Panzer I and Panzer II. Panzer III formed the bulk of the Panzer Divisions' strength during early years of war. By October of 1943, only five Panzer Divisions on the Eastern Front had one or more Panzer Company equipped with Panzer IIIs. By late 1944, only 79 Panzer IIIs were in service with frontline units on the Eastern Front. Number of PzKpfw IIIs remained in service until the end of the war in places like Norway and Holland.
Panzerkampfwagen III's production was slow and ceased in August of 1943. In the early years, gaps were filled with Czech PzKpfw 35(t) and PzKpfw 38(t), which possessed similar combat value. Its design was also a great help in the development of its bigger brother Panzerkampfwagen IV and shared many common parts with it.

Types Ausf A-J(early) (1936-1941) of Panzer III were called "Short" and types Ausf J(late)-N (1941-1943) were called "Long". Overall around 6000 Panzerkampfwagen IIIs (long and short) were produced. Majority of PzKpfw IIIs was produced by Alkett along with Daimler-Benz, FAMO, Henschel & Sohn, MAN, MIAG, Waggonfabrik Wegmann and MNH.

Sd.Kfz.141 (Short)
Ausf A 1937 37mm L/45
Ausf B 1937 37mm L/45
Ausf C 1937/38 37mm L/45
Ausf D 1938 37mm L/45
Ausf E 1938/39 37mm L/45 (early) / 50mm L/42 (late)
Ausf F 1939/40 37mm L/45 (early) / 50mm L/42 (late)
Ausf G 1940/41 37mm L/45 (early) / 50mm L/42 (late)
Ausf H 1940/41 50mm L/42 (early) / 50mm L/60 (late)
Ausf J 1941/42 50mm L/42 (early)
Sd.Kfz.141/1 (Long)
Ausf J 1941/42 50mm L/60 (late)
Ausf L 1942 50mm L/60
Ausf M 1942/43 50mm L/60
Sd.Kfz.141/2 (Long)
Ausf N / (Sturmpanzer III) 1942/43 75mm L/24
Sd.Kfz.141/3 (Long)
Ausf M / (Flamm) 1943 14mm Flammenwerfer
Panzer III saw an extensive service on all fronts until late 1943, when it was totally replaced by Panzerkampfwagen IV. As a common practice, Panzer III's chassis/components became a base for few conversions and prototypes. By 1943 standards Panzer III was obsolete and lost its combat effectiveness what resulted in many being converted to perform various functions.
From February of 1942 to April of 1944, 262 Panzerkampfwagen III Ausf E/F/Gs were up-armored and converted into Artillerie Panzerbeobachtungswagen III (Sd.Kfz.143) - observation vehicles which served with Wespe and Hummel batteries until the end of the war. Panzerbeobachtungswagen III had a dummy gun mounted and in the place of original gun, Kugelblende (ballmount) for a 7.92mm MG34 machine gun was installed. Sd.Kfz.143 had a crew of five and was equipped with powerful radio equipment.
In 1943, some Ausf L and Ms were converted into turretless Pionierpanzerwagen III - engineer tanks mounted with additional equipment. In mid 1944, 176(167) Panzer IIIs (including Ausf E, F and G) were converted into Bergepanzer IIIs - recovery vehicles fitted with additional equipment. Also in 1943/44 some number of early Panzer IIIs was converted into Schlepper - artillery tractors and Munitionspanzer - ammunition carriers.

One of the most interesting prototypes based Panzer III's chassis was Minenraumpanzer III - mine clearing/mine destroyer tank developed by Krupp. It proved to be unsuccessful and never entered production.

In October of 1943, prototype of PzKpfw III Ausf N als Schienen-Kettenfahrzeug was tested. Three Ausf Ns (mounted with railway suspension by Sauer Werke of Vienna) were converted to travel by rail at maximum speed of 100km/h. They were to be used to protect the rail network behind the frontlines in East. Only three prototypes were produced but further development of this project was cancelled.

From June of 1938 to February of 1943, number of Panzer IIIs was converted by Daimler-Benz to Panzerbefehlswagens III Ausf D1 (30), Ausf E (45) and Ausf H (175) (Sd.Kfz.266-268) command tanks equipped with extra radios and additional equipment and saw active service until the end of the war. Command tanks were mounted with a dummy gun and were armed only with a single 7.92mm MG machine gun. 185 Panzerbefehlswagen III mit 5cm KwK L/42 (based on Ausf J) and 50 Ausf K (based on Ausf L) were armed with 50mm L/42 and 50mm L/60 guns respectively.
Variant: Production Period: Number Produced:
Ausf A 1937 15
Ausf B 1937 15
Ausf C 1937/38 15
Ausf D 1938 30
Ausf E 1938/39 96
Ausf F 1939/40 435
Ausf G 1940/41 600
Ausf H 1940/41 308
Ausf J (early) 1941/42 1549
Ausf J (late) 1941/42 1067
Ausf L 1942 653
Ausf M 1942/43 250
Ausf N 1942/43 700

Turrets (110) removed from PzKpfw IIIs converted to other vehicles were used in fortifications of the Atlantic Wall and Hitler's Line in Italy. In 1945, it was decided to utilize obsolete at the time PzKpfw III and mount it with Wirbelwind or Ostwind turrets, designated as Flakpanzer III. 90 were ordered but the end of the war terminated the production.

The most interesting conversion was done by German troops in North Africa, who converted damaged Panzerkampfwagen III Ausf H to 150mm s.I.G.33 gun carrier by using components (such as gun itself, gun shield, superstructure sides with tool stowage and ammunition racks) from Sturmpanzer II Bison (lengthened version).
Two PzKpfw III tanks were also sold to the Soviet Union in the Summer of 1940 under the Ribbentrop-Molotov treaty, where they were tested along with early T-34/76 tanks. German PzKpfw III proved to be faster than Soviet T-34/76 and BT-7, reaching maximum speed of 69km/h. Soviet T-34 was far superior in armored protection and armament but lacked in ergonomics and overall reliability, when compared to German PzKpfw III tanks. Also PzKpfw III was less noisy than Soviet T-34 - e.g. T-34 could be heard from 450m, while PzKpfw III from 150-200m.
Panzerkampfwagen III was also exported to other nations especially Germany's Allies or pro-German states. First country to receive PzKpfw III was Hungary (10), followed by Romania (11 Ausf N), Bulgaria (10 Ausf N) and Slovakia (7 Ausf N). Small number of Ausf L and N tanks was also exported to Croatia. Large number (56) was ordered by Turkey but transaction was never finalized due to the war situation, although supposedly some (20-22?) were delivered.

From 1941 to 1943, Russians captured large numbers of PzKpfw III, Sturmgeschutz III and PzKpfw IV. Some were pressed into temporary service (e.g. being used as "Trojan Horses" or as "bait") , while some were converted to assault guns designated SU-76i and SG-122A.
Interesting fact is that Polish Tank Platoon of the Carpathian Lancers received captured (7 or 8) PzKpfw III for training purposes, while in Egypt in August of 1942.
The most successful conversion based Panzerkampfwagen III's chassis was Sturmgeschutz III - assault gun/tank destroyer series, which remained in service with Finnish Army as late as 1967.

After the war ended, some 32 PzKpfw III were used by Norway along with Stug III Ausf Gs.
For more info visit Norwegian Panzers article.

Small number of PzKpfw III tanks was also used by Czechoslovakia, including 4 rebuild Flammpanzer III tanks.

Panzerkampfwagen III gained a reputation for being a highly reliable and effective vehicle, which shaped tank development plans of both German and Allied tank builders. It was the best German tank in the first part of the war, but by 1943 it was totally obsolete.

Specifications
Model: Ausf H Ausf L/M
Weight: 21800kg 22700kg
Crew: 5 men 5 men
Engine: Maybach HL 120 TRM / 12-cylinder / 265hp Maybach HL 120 TRM / 12-cylinder / 265hp
Speed: Road: 40km/h
Cross-Country: 20km/h Road: 40km/h
Cross-Country: 20km/h
Range: Road: 165km
Cross-Country: 105km Road: 155km
Cross-Country: 95km
Fuel Capacity: 320 litres 320 litres
Lenght: 5.52m (with the gun) 6.41m (with the gun)
5.56m (w/o the gun)
Width: 2.95m 2.95m
Height: 2.50m 2.50m
Armament: 50mm KwK 38 L/42
2 x 7.92mm MG34
(1 x MG - hull)
(1 x MG - coax) 50mm KwK 39 L/60
2 x 7.92mm MG34
(1 x MG - hull)
(1 x MG - coax)
Ammo: 50mm - 99 rounds
7.92mm - 2700 rounds 50mm - 92 rounds
7.92mm - 3750 rounds
Armor (mm/angle): Front Turret: 30/13
Front Upper Hull: 30+30/90
Front Lower Hull: 30+30/23
Side Turret: 30/25
Side Upper Hull: 30/0
Side Lower Hull: 30/0
Rear Turret: 30/13
Rear Upper Hull: 30/30
Rear Lower Hull: 30+30/8
Turret Top / Bottom: 10/89
Upper Hull Top / Bottom: 17/77
Lower Hull Top / Bottom: 16/90
Gun Mantlet: 37/0 Front Turret: 57/15
Front Upper Hull: 50+20/9
Front Lower Hull: 50/21
Side Turret: 30/25
Side Upper Hull: 30/0
Side Lower Hull: 30/0
Rear Turret: 30/12
Rear Upper Hull: 50/17
Rear Lower Hull: 50/9
Turret Top / Bottom: 10/83
Upper Hull Top / Bottom: 18/79
Lower Hull Top / Bottom: 16/90
Gun Mantlet: 50+20/0

50mm KwK 38 L/42
Penetration of Armor Plate at 30 degrees from Vertical.
Ammunition: 100m 500m 1000m 1500m 2000m
Panzergranate 39 54mm 46mm 36mm 28mm 22mm
Panzergranate 40 96mm 58mm 0mm 0mm 0mm

Pzgr.39 (APCBC) - Armor Piercing Composite Ballistic Cap
Pzgr.40 (APCR) - Armor Piercing Composite Rigid (Tungsten Core)

50mm KwK 39 L/60
Penetration of Armor Plate at 30 degrees from Vertical.
Ammunition: 100m 500m 1000m 1500m 2000m
Panzergranate 39 67mm 57mm 44mm 34mm 26mm
Panzergranate 40 130mm 72mm 38mm 0mm 0mm

Pzgr.39 (APCBC) - Armor Piercing Composite Ballistic Cap
Pzgr.40 (APCR) - Armor Piercing Composite Rigid (Tungsten Core)

Conversions

• PzKpfw III (Flamm) Ausf. M (Sd. Kfz. 141/3) - flame-thrower tank,
• Befehlswagen III Ausf. D1 (Sd.Kfz 267-268) - command tank,
• Befehlswagen III Ausf. E (Sd. Kfz. 266-268) - command tank,
• Befehlswagen III Ausf. H (Sd. Kfz. 266-268) - command tank,
• Befehlswagen III Ausf. K - command tank,
• Beobachtungswagen III - observation vehicle (Sd.Kfz.143),
• Bergepanzer III (Sd. Kfz. 143) - recovery vehicle,
• Sturmgeschütz III Ausf A to E (Sd.Kfz.141),
• Sturmgeschütz III (40) Ausf F/G (Sd.Kfz.141/2),
• Sturmhaubitze 42 (Sd.Kfz. 142/2) 105mm L/28 (L/30) - assault howitzer,
• Stug 33 - 150mm howitzer carrier - infantry support,
• Munitionspanzerwagen III Ausf E/F/G - ammo carrier,
• Munition Schlepper - ammo carrier for Ferdinand/Elephant units,
• Pionierpanzerwagen III - engineer's tank,
• Panzer III Ausf N Schienen-Kettenfahrzeug - rail tank,
• PzKpfw III Ausf G/H mit Schachtellaufwerk - prototype / dozer tank,
• Panzer III Ausf. E(U) (37mm gun) - submersible tank,
• Panzer III Ausf. F(U) (50mm L/42 gun) - submersible tank,
• Panzer III Ausf D1(U) - submersible command tank,
• Panzer III Ausf H(U) - submersible command tank,
• Minenraumpanzer III - mine clearing vehicle (prototype),
• Flakpanzer III (planned),
• Artillerie Schlepper - artillery tractor,

Panzerkampfwagen III Ausf H(U) - Tauchfahig
(U-Panzer / Submersible Tank)
During the preparation for invasion of England - Operation Seelöwe (Sealion), Panzer III and Panzer IV were converted into submersible tanks able to travel on the bottom of body of water at the depths of 6 to 15 meters. From June to October of 1940, 160 Panzer III Ausf F/G/H and 8 Panzerbefehlswagen III Ausf E along with 42 Panzer IV Ausf Ds were converted into U-Panzers / Tauchpanzers. After extensive tests and modifications U-Panzer were ready for action. Since Operation Sealion was never realized, Tauchpanzer IIIs and IVs were used during Operation Barbarossa (crossing river Bug at Patulin), in service with 3rd (6th Panzer Regiment) and 18th Panzer Division. It was also planned to use U-Panzers in never realized invasion on the island of Malta.

Reference: Wikipedia

KG_ThorsHammer
05-04-2006, 11:56 AM
very nice, got to love the design.

I found it an interesting comparison in thought regarding the pzIII that the Russians thought it was a mistake for the Germans to stop producing the tank.

For the Germans, the markIII just didn;t have the armour or firepower to deal with hordes of T34s, and so the hull was utilized for the Stug which did (at the expense of the turret factor of course).

For the Russians, it was a reliable vehicle that could be mass produced despite its' lack of firepower and armour. I guess with soviet production capacity, and the availability of tungsten, large numbers of markIIIs could be effective (I wonder if the Germans had lots of tungsten if they would have continued to produce it).

KG_Swampfox
05-04-2006, 01:30 PM
The reason it could not receive bigger guns was the size of the turret ring, I have always wondered why they didnt just make the turret ring bigger to accommodate the 75mm/L48, then convert the smaller turret ringed machines into STuGs. Can you imagine a MKIII 75mm/L48 as a recon tank?

KG_ThorsHammer
05-04-2006, 03:06 PM
Im not exactly sure on that but I think it has something to do with having to increase the size of the turret to accomodate the bigger recoil of a larger weapon, which would then leave less room for the engine, etc.
The panzerIIIN has the 75mm/L24 though, so perhaps the long barrel would make it unbalanced?

The US chaffee tank with 75mm gun is my favorite light tank.

KG_Swampfox
05-04-2006, 04:53 PM
From what I understand about the L number after the bore size, it would mean bore size say (75MM), and say a L number(48) would be the length of the shell in calibers. So the L48 shell is twice as long as the L24 shell which makes the action twice as long. Its not so much the gun on the outside, (barrel and recuperator) as it is the length of the gun from the trunnions to the furthest length in recoil on the inside. The turret ring on the MKIII would not accommodate as long of a action as the L48 action at full recoil.

If I have this incorrect, somebody please correct me......

KG_Swampfox
05-11-2006, 08:09 PM
Gents,
And now the fabulous STuG III and the STuH 42. As a G model, it is certainly one of the finest tank destroyers of the war. A great adaptation out of an outdated main battle tank, and cheap to build. A great gun sight, and fast reloading times make these things a real danger, esspecially when they are in ambush. The lack of a machine gun on the early models meant they needed close support infantry to protect them from inf. attack. A must have when on the defensive, and great in over watch.
A personal favorite of many CCMB players.

Swamp

The Sturmgeschütz III (StuG III) assault gun was one of Germany's most produced armored fighting vehicles during World War II. It was built on the chassis of the Panzer III tank. Initially intended as a mobile, armoured light gun for infantry support, the StuG was continually modified until, by 1942, it was widely employed as a tank destroyer.
The Sturmgeschütz series is probably best known for its excellent price-to-performance ratio. By the end of the war, over 10,500 had been built.
History
The Sturmgeschütz III originated from an initial proposal that Colonel Erich von Manstein submitted to General Beck in 1935 in which he suggested that Sturmartillerie (Assault Artillery) units should be used in a direct-fire support role for infantry divisions. To that end, on June 15, 1936, Daimler-Benz AG received an order to develop an armoured infantry support vehicle capable of mounting a 75 mm (3 in) artillery piece. The gun was to have a limited traverse of a minimum of 25 degrees and be mounted in a fully enclosed superstructure that provided overhead protection for the crew. The height of the vehicle was not to exceed that of the average man.
Daimler-Benz AG used the chassis and running gear of its recently designed Panzerkampfwagen III medium tank as a basis for the new vehicle. Prototype manufacture was passed over to Alkett, which produced five examples in 1937 of the experimental 0-series StuG based upon the PzKpfw III Ausf. B. These prototypes featured a mild steel superstructure and Krupp’s short-barreled 75 mm Sturmkanone 37 L/24.
As the StuG III was intended to fill an anti-infantry close support combat role, early models were fitted with a low-velocity 75 mm StuK 37 L/24 gun, firing high explosive shells. After the Germans encountered the Soviet T-34, the StuG III were armed with the high-velocity 75 mm StuK 40 L/43 (Spring 1942) or 75 mm L/48 (Autumn 1942) anti-tank gun.
Later models of the StuG III had a 7.92mm MG34 mounted on the hull for added anti-infantry protection.
In 1944 the Finnish army received 59 StuG III from Germany and used them against Soviet Union. These Stug III's destroyed at least 87 enemy tanks, for a loss of only 8 StuG's (some of these were destroyed by the crew before they abandonded the vehicle). After the war most of surviving vehicles were used as main battle tanks of the Finnish army.
After the Second World War, the Soviet Union gave some of the captured German vehicles to Syria, which continued to use them at least until the Six Days War (1967).
Variants

• StuG III Ausf. A (Sd.Kfz 142; 1940, 30 produced)
First used in the Battle of France, the StuG III Ausf. A used the chassis of the Panzer III Ausf. F and the 75mm StuK 37 L/24 gun.
• StuG III Ausf. B (Sd.Kfz 142; 1940-41, 320 produced)
Widened tracks and other minor changes.
• StuG III Ausf. C (Sd.Kfz 142; 1941, 50 produced)
Minor improvements over the StuG B.
• StuG III Ausf. D (Sd.Kfz 142; 1941, 150 produced)
Minor improvements over the StuG C.
• StuG III Ausf. E (Sd.Kfz 142; 1941-42, 272 produced)
A MG 34 is added to protect the vehicle from enemy infantry. Other minor improvements.
• StuG III Ausf. F (Sd.Kfz 142/1; 1942, 359 produced)
The first real upgunning of the StuG, this version uses the longer 75 mm StuK 40 L/43 gun. This change marked the StuG as being more of a tank destroyer than an infantry support vehicle.
• StuG III Ausf. F/8 (Sd.Kfz 142/1; 1942, 334 produced)
Another upgunning, the F/8 used 75 mm StuK 40 L/48 gun.
• StuG III Ausf. G (Sd.Kfz 142/1; 1942-45, 7,893 produced)
The final, and by far the most common, of the StuG series. The G-series StuG used the hull of the Panzer III Ausf. M and, after 1944, a second machine gun. Later versions were fitted with the Saukopf (Ger. pig's head) gun mantlet, which was more effective than the original box metal structure at deflecting shots.

• Other Stug III Based Vehicles
Some StuG III were also made from a Panzer III chassis but fitted the bogie suspension system of the Panzer IV tank. Only about 20 were manufactured. The intention was to simplify field repairs but this did not work out well and the model was cancelled.
• StuH 42 III (Sd.Kfz 142/2; 1942-45, 1217 produced)
In 1942, a variant of the StuG III F was designed with a 10.5 cm (105 mm) howitzer instead of the 75 mm StuK 40 L/43. These new vehicles, designated Sturmhaubitze 42 (or StuH 42, also known by its Werhmacht designation Sd.Kfz 142/2) were designed to provide infantry support with the increased number of StuG III F/8 and Gs being used for anti-tank duties. The StuH 42 mounted a variant of the Model 1918 Light Field Howitzer, modified to be electrically fired and fitted with a muzzle brake. Later models were built from StuG III G chassis, as well as, StuG III F and F/8 chassis. The muzzle brake was often deleted as well because of the scarcity of resources.
In 1943, 10 StuG IIIs were converted to StuG I (FLAMM) configuration by replacing the main gun with a Schwade flamethrower. These chassis were all refurbished at the depot level and were a variety of Pre-Ausf. F models. There are no reports to indicate any of these were actually used in combat, and all were returned to a Stug III G standard at the depot level by 1944.
The Soviet SU-76i self-propelled gun was based on captured German StuG III and Panzer III vehicles. About 1,200 of these vehicles were converted for Red Army service by adding an enclosed superstructure and the ZiS-5 76.2 mm gun.
Reference: Wikipedia

KG_SSpoom
05-11-2006, 09:10 PM
I think the L is caliber x length so an L-24 is 24 calibers long an L-48 is 48 calibers long. I am not 100% sure though =)

KG_Swampfox
06-06-2006, 12:55 PM
Gents,
Now the T-34, Light years ahead of everything else when first built as far as its design. It had a good gun, sloped amour, great suspension, and a first class engine. Poorly laid out crew space and poor optics kept it from being the 1st class tank it should have been. Supposedly a bitch to drive, requiring much upper body strength, Crews rarely developed the team work and efficiency of there German counterparts.
Swamp

The T-34 is a Soviet medium tank produced from 1940 to 1958. It was the world's best tank when the Soviet Union entered the Second World War, and is credited as the war's most effective, efficient and influential design. First produced in 1940, at the KhPZ factory in Kharkov (Kharkiv, Ukraine), it was the mainstay of Soviet armoured forces throughout WWII, and widely exported afterwards. It was the most-produced tank of the war, and the second most-produced tank of all time, after its successor, the T-54/55 series. A few T-34s remained in use until the 1990s.
The T-34 was developed from the BT series of Fast Tanks, and was intended to replace both the BT tank and the T-26 infantry tank in service. At its introduction, it was the tank with the best balance of firepower, mobility, and protection in existence, although initially its battlefield effectiveness suffered from the unsatisfactory ergonomic layout of its crew compartment, lack of radios and poor tactical employment.
In late 1943, the improved T-34-85 was introduced, with a more powerful gun. The design and construction of the tank were continuously refined during the war to improve effectiveness and decrease costs, allowing steadily greater numbers of tanks to be fielded. By 1945, the versatile and cost-effective T-34 had replaced many light and heavy tanks in service, and accounted for nearly all Soviet tank production. It was influential in the development of the late twentieth-century concept of the main battle tank.

Production history

"We had nothing comparable" —Friedrich von Mellenthin (1956)

In the 1930s, the most numerous Soviet tanks were the T-26 light tank and the BT series of fast tanks. The T-26 was a slow-moving infantry tank, designed to keep pace with soldiers on the ground. The BT tanks were cavalry tanks, very fast-moving light tanks, designed to fight other tanks but not infantry. Both were thinly armoured.
In 1937, engineer Mikhail Koshkin was assigned by the Red Army to lead a new team to design a replacement for the BT tanks, at the Kharkov Komintern Locomotive Plant (KhPZ) in Kharkov. The prototype tank, designated A-20, was specified with 20 mm of armour and a 45mm gun. Koshkin convinced Stalin to let him develop a second prototype, a more heavily armed and armoured "universal tank" which could replace both the T-26 and the BT tanks. The second prototype, designated A-30 but shortly renamed T-32, had 30 mm of armour and a 76mm gun. Both were tested in field trials at Kubinka in 1939, and the heavier T-32 proved to be as mobile as the A-20. Resistance from the military command and concerns about high production cost were finally overridden by anxieties about the poor performance of Soviet tanks in Finland and the effectiveness of Germany's Blitzkrieg in France. A still heavier version of the T-32 with 45 mm of front armour was approved for production as the T-34.
The first tanks were completed in September 1940, completely replacing the production of the T-26, BT, and the multi-turreted T-28 medium tank. Koshkin died of pneumonia at the end of that month, and Alexander Morozov was appointed Chief Designer at the KhPZ.
The T-34 had the coil-spring Christie suspension of the BT, but dispensed with the weighty but ineffective "convertible" feature, which allowed a tank to run on wheels without tracks. It had well-sloped armour, a relatively powerful engine, and wide tracks. The initial version had a 76.2mm gun, and is often called T-34/76 (originally a WWII German designation). In late 1943 a second major version began production, the T-34/85 (or T-34/85) with a larger turret mounting a larger 85mm gun.

Establishing and maintaining production

"Quantity has a quality all its own" —attributed to Joseph Stalin

The T-34 posed new challenges for Soviet industry. It was the most heavily-armoured medium tank produced to this point, and subassemblies originated at several plants: Kharkov Diesel Factory No. 75 supplied the model V-2 engine, Leningrad Kirov Factory No. 185 made the original L-11 gun, and the Dinamo Factory in Moscow produced electrical components. Tanks were initially built at KhPZ No. 183 and the Stalingrad Tractor Factory (STZ), and later at Krasnoye Sormovo Factory No. 112 in Gorki. There were problems with defective armour plates. Due to a shortage of new V-2 engines, many tanks in the initial 1940 production run were equipped with the BT tank's inferior MT-17 engine, transmission, and clutch. Only company commanders' tanks could be afforded to be fitted with radios. The L-11 gun did not live up to expectations, so the Grabin design bureau at Gorki Factory No. 92 designed a superior F-34 76.2mm gun. No bureaucrat would approve production, so Gorki and KhPZ started producing the gun anyway; official permission only came from Stalin's State Defence Committee after troops in the field sent back praise for the gun's performance.
There was political pressure to redirect resources into building traditional infantry tanks, or to cancel T-34 production pending completion of the more advanced T-34M design. Germany's surprise attack against the Soviet Union in June 22, 1941 (Operation Barbarossa) forced the Soviet Union to shift into full production of tanks. Germany's fast advances forced the monumental evacuation of tank factories to the Ural mountains. KhPZ was re-established around the Dzherzhinski Ural Railcar Factory in Nizhny Tagil, renamed Stalin Ural Tank Factory No. 183. The Kirov Factory was evacuated just weeks before Leningrad was surrounded, and moved with the Kharkov Diesel Factory to the Stalin Tractor Factory in Chelyabinsk, soon to be dubbed Tankograd ("Tank City"). Voroshilov Tank Factory No. 174 from Leningrad was incorporated into the Ural Factory and the new Omsk Factory No. 174. The Odzhonikdze Ural Heavy Machine Tool Works (UZTM) in Sverdlovsk absorbed several small factories. While these factories were relocating at record speed, the industrial complex surrounding the Stalingrad Tractor Works produced forty percent of all T-34s until it was completely surrounded by heavy fighting in the Battle of Stalingrad, in autumn 1942.
Barring this interruption, the only changes allowed on the production lines were to make the tanks simpler and cheaper to produce. New methods were developed for automated welding and hardening the plate, including innovations by Prof. Evgeny Paton. The design of the 76.2mm F-34 gun Model 1941 was reduced to 614 parts, compared to the earlier model's 861. Over two years, the production cost of the tank was reduced from 269,500 rubles in 1941, to 193,000, and then to 135,000, even though the majority of experienced factory workers were replaced by women, boys, invalids, and old men. From 1941 to 1942, new T-34s went from "beautifully crafted machines with excellent exterior finish comparable or superior to those in Western Europe or America" to much more roughly-finished, although mechanical reliability would not be compromised.

Evolutionary development

"The technological pace-setter of World War II tank design" —Steven Zaloga

In 1942, a new turret design derived from the abandoned T-34M project started to be built, improving the cramped conditions, and eventually adding a commander's cupola for all-round vision. Limited rubber supplies led to the adoption of steel-rimmed road wheels and a new clutch was added to the improved five-speed transmission and engine.
In 1943, the Soviets also encountered the new German Tiger and Panther tanks. Based on experience at the Battle of Kursk, and requests from the front for longer-ranged firepower, the Soviet command made the difficult decision to retool the factories to produce a new model. The T-34/85 had a much superior 85mm gun and finally, a three-man turret with radio (which had previously been in the hull). Now the commander could command the tank, leaving the operation of the gun to his gunner and loader.
Cost-effectiveness
"You need five of your tanks to destroy a single German one, but you always have six" —anonymous German tank soldier
The cost to produce a T-34/85 tank was initially about thirty percent higher than a Model 1943, at 164,000 rubles, but by 1945 it was down to 142,000. During the course of the war, the cost of a T-34 tank had been reduced by almost half, while in the meantime its mobility remained nearly the same, and its main gun's armour penetration and frontal armour thickness nearly doubled.
By the end of 1945, over 57,000 T-34s were built: 34,780 original T-34 tanks in 1940–44, and another 22,559 T-34-85s in 1944–45 (The Russian Battlefield 1998a, 1998b). After the war, the T-34 was out of large scale production in the USSR by 1946 when 2,701 were built. Production was restarted in 1951 in People's Republic of Poland and Czechoslovakia, where 1,380 and 3,185 T-34-85s were made, respectively, by 1956. In the late sixties Soviet T-34-85s underwent a modernisation program (T-34-85M) for export and reserve service, being retrofitted with drive train components from the T-54/55 series tanks—a testament to the level of standardisation in Soviet tank design.
Estimates for total output of T-34 tanks are as high as 84,070, plus 13,170 self-propelled guns built on the T-34's chassis. Some of these ended up in various Cold War conflicts around the world.
Variants
Identification of T-34 variants can be complicated. Turret castings and superficial details, and equipment differed between factories. New features were added in the middle of production runs or retrofitted to older tanks. Knocked-out tanks were rebuilt, sometimes with the addition of newer-model equipment and even new turrets. Some tanks also had appliqué armour made of scrap steel of varying thickness, welded on to the hull and possibly the turret; these tanks are called s ekranami ("with screens").
Model naming: German intelligence in World War Two referred to the two main production models as T-34/76 and T-34/85, with minor models receiving letter designations such as T-34/76A—this nomenclature has been widely used in the West, especially in popular literature. Since at least the 1980s however, many academic sources (notably, AFV expert Steven Zaloga) have been using Soviet-style nomenclature: T-34 and T-34-85, with minor models distinguished by year: T-34 Model 1940. [This system is used in this article.]
Since the break-up of the Soviet Union, newly-declassified sources have demonstrated that all T-34s with the original turret and F-34 gun (conventionally known as Models 1941 and 1942) were officially called Model 1941, and hexagonal-turret T-34 (Model 1943) was officially called Model 1942.
Captured T-34s in German service were designated Panzerkampfwagen T-34(r).
The Finns called the T-34 Sotka after the common goldeneye (the sea duck Bucephala clangula), because the silhouette of the tank seen from the side resembles a swimming waterfowl. Incidentally, Lauri Heino, the well-known Finnish tank ace, Mannerheim Cross winner, and the first foreign soldier to capture an intact T-34 and drive it, had also worked as a seaman on the steamer Sotka.

The T-34 (German designation: T-34/76) was the original tank with 76.2mm gun.

Model 1940 (T-34/76A)—Early production run with interim L-11 76.2mm tank gun in a two-man turret.
• Model 1941 (T-34/76B)—Main production with heavier armour and the superior F-34 76.2mm gun.
• Model 1942 (T-34/76C)—Many minor manufacturing improvements.
• Model 1943 (T-34/76D, E, and F)—New cast hexagonal turret, nicknamed "Mickey Mouse" by the Germans because of its appearance with the way the twin round turret-roof hatches opened. Main production had a new commander's cupola.
• T-34/57—A very few T-34s in 1941 and 1943 were fitted with the ZIS-4 high-velocity 57mm gun to be used as tank hunters.
The T-34/85 was a major improvement with a three-man turret and long 85mm gun.
• Model 1943—Short production run of February–March 1944 with D-5T 85mm gun.
• Model 1944—Main production, with simpler ZiS-S-53 85mm gun, radio moved from the hull into a turret with improved layout and new gunner's sight.
Various technical improvements continued to be made to the T-34-85, including major refurbishing programs in 1960 and 1969. All T-34-85 models are externally very similar.
Pre-war development of a more advanced T-34 tank was resumed in 1944, leading to the T-44. The new tank had a turret design based on the T-34-85's, but a new hull with torsion-bar suspension and transversely-mounted engine. It had a lower profile than the T-34-85 and was simpler to manufacture. Between 150 to 200 of these tanks were built before the end of the war. With some drive-train modifications and a new turret and gun, it became the T-54, starting production in 1947.
Other AFVs
• Flame-thrower tanks—OT-34 and OT-34-85 were fitted with an internally mounted flame-thrower replacing the hull machine-gun.
• PT-34—Mine roller tank, mostly built on T-34 Model 1943 or T-34-85 chassis.
• Self-propelled guns—The T-34 chassis was used as the basis for a series of self-propelled guns
o SU-122
o SU-85
o SU-100
After WWII, some T-34s were fitted with 122mm howitzers as self-propelled artillery by Syria and Egypt.
Support vehicles
There were many support vehicles and even civilian tractors and cranes built on the T-34 chassis starting during the war and continuing at least into the 1990s. The vast majority of these were conversions of old or damaged tanks and self-propelled guns.
• Bridging tanks—Old tanks rebuilt in the field or at repair facilities. These were simply driven into water two abreast for special river-crossing operations, to be recovered later.
• Armoured recovery vehicles—During WWII, some old tanks were rebuilt as armoured recovery vehicles (ARVs), by plating over the turret ring or adding a superstructure. After the war, this repurposing program was formalized in successively more elaborate models.
Table of tank models
Soviet medium tank models of World War Two
T-34
Model 1940 T-34
Model 1941 T-34
Model 1942 T-34
Model 1943 T-34-85 T-44
Weight 26 t
26.5 t 28.5 t 30.9 t 32 t 31.9 t
Gun 76.2mm L-11 76.2mm F-34 76.2mm F-34 76.2mm F-34 85mm ZiS-S-53 85mm ZiS-S-53
Ammunition 76 rounds 77 rounds 77 rounds 100 rounds 60 rounds 58 rounds
Fuel 460 L
460 L 610 L 790 L 810 L 642 L
Road range 300 km
400 km 400 km 465 km 360 km 300 km
Armour 15–45 mm
20–52 mm 20–65 mm 20–70 mm 20–90 mm 15–120 mm
Cost 270,000 rubles 193,000 rubles 135,000 rubles 164,000 rubles
Notes: dimensions, road speed, engine horsepower did not vary significantly. References: Zaloga & Grandsen (1984:113, 184), Harrison (2002:181).

Combat history
The T-34 is often used as a symbol for the effectiveness of the Soviet counterattack against the Germans. The appearance of the T-34 in the summer of 1941 was a psychological shock to German soldiers, who had been prepared to face an inferior Soviet enemy; this is shown by Alfred Jodl's diary, who seems to have been taken by surprise at the appearance of the T-34 in Riga. The T-34 could take on all 1941 German tanks effectively. However, the new tank suffered from severe mechanical problems, especially with its transmission and clutch—at least fifty percent of the first summer's total tank losses were due to breakdowns rather than German fire, although this also included old tanks in disrepair. There was a shortage of recovery and repair equipment, and it was not uncommon for early T-34s to go into combat carrying a spare transmission on the engine deck. The mechanical troubles were eventually sorted out.
During the winter of 1941–42, the T-34 again dominated German tanks through its ability to move over deep mud or snow without bogging down. German tanks simply could not move over the same terrain the T-34 could handle. The German infantry, at that time armed mostly with PaK 36 37mm and PaK 38 50mm towed antitank guns, had no effective means of stopping T-34s. Only the poor level of Soviet crew training and the ineptitude of Soviet commanders prevented the T-34 from achieving greater success.
T-34/85 equipped with stand-off screens to protect thinner side and top armour from the HEAT warheads of Panzerfausts during street fighting. These may have been improvised from sprung bed-frames or purpose-built. Berlin, May 1945.
The emphasis in the Red Army in 1942–43 was on rebuilding the losses of 1941 and improving tactical proficiency. T-34 production increased rapidly, but the design was 'frozen'—generally, only improvements that sped production were adopted. Soviet designers were well aware of the need to correct certain deficiencies in the design, but these improvements would have cost production time and could not be adopted. By mid-1943 T-34 production was running at about one thousand tanks per month, much higher than the German rate. However, Soviet losses greatly exceeded German losses due to continued tactical inferiority.
In response to the T-34, the Germans were beginning to field larger numbers of high-velocity PaK 40 75mm/ L48 guns, both towed and self-propelled. They were also able to put the Tiger heavy tank into the field in late 1942 and Panther medium tank by 1943. By mid-war the T-34 no longer held technical superiority over German tanks. Loss ratios remained unfavourable to the Soviets; as their technical superiority waned, their tactical proficiency was not catching up fast enough.
By the last years of the war, the Soviets' improving tactics remained inferior to the Germans', but the Red Army's growing operational and strategic skill and its larger inventory of tanks helped bring the loss ratios down (Zaloga & Grandsen 1984:223). The appearance of the T-34/85 in early 1944 gave the Red Army a tank that had better armour and mobility than German Pzkw IV and Sturmgeschütz III but it could not match the Panther in most respects. To the Soviet advantage there were far fewer Panthers than T-34s. However, the T-34/85 was good enough to allow skilled crew and tactical situations to tip the balance.
At the outset of the war, only about five percent of all Soviet tanks were T-34 variants; this increased to fifty or sixty percent by mid-1943 and was even higher by the war's end. By the time the T-34 had replaced older models and became available in greater numbers, newer German tanks (including the improved German design based on the T-34, the Panzer-V 'Panther') outperformed it. The Soviets' late-war Iosif Stalin heavy tanks were also better-armed and better-armoured than the T-34.
A comparison can be made between the T-34 and the US M4 Sherman. Each tank formed the backbone of the armoured units in their own and allied armies. Both were good designs at the time they debuted. Both were improved significantly without much loss of effectiveness. Both could be manufactured in large numbers and maintained in difficult conditions. Neither could take on the best German Tiger and Panther tanks on equal terms, but too much has been made of this fact, as these heavy vehicles were both in a class more comparable to the Soviet IS-2 heavy tank (Zaloga & Grandsen 1983:37). Tanks were expected to have many roles on the battlefield, the foremost being infantry support and exploitation. The tank-vs-tank role is nonetheless very important. That German tank production was limited to relatively small numbers of superior but complex vehicles (in part because of production diversion into self-propelled guns) told against them. The Soviet decision to build large numbers of T-34s, gradually improving and simplifying the design, was a much better decision and helped to win WWII.
Since the Second World War, T-34-85s have been in use in many Soviet-client and formerly-Soviet client states. The North Korean invasion of South Korea in 1950 was spearheaded by a regiment of T-34-85s. There they were pitted against the M24 Chaffee, M4 Sherman and M26 Pershing but not the Centurion tanks of the UN forces. In general though, tank warfare was a minor part of that war. T-34s equipped many of the Warsaw Pact Armies and were employed in the suppression of the Hungarian uprising in 1956. They were also used in the Middle East, the Vietnam War (most famously in the attack on Lang Vei) and even as recently as the Bosnian War. Croatia inherited twenty-five or thirty from Yugoslavia but has since withdrawn them from service. T-34s were sporadically available in Afghanistan (it is unknown if T-34s were used against coalition troops) and Saddam Hussein had T-34s in his army in the early 1990s. Several African states, including Angola and Somalia, have employed T-34-85s in recent years. Cuban T-34-85s have also seen action in Africa.
The T-34 has been employed by the following 39 countries, as late as 1996 by 27 of them indicated by asterisks.
Europe and America
• Albania*
• Austria
• Bulgaria*
• Cyprus
• Czechoslovakia
• Cuba
• Finland
• East Germany
• Hungary
• Poland
• Romania*
• Soviet Union
• Yugoslavia*
Middle East and Asia
• Afghanistan*
• Egypt*
• Iraq
• Laos
• Lebanon*
• Libya*
• Mongolia*
• North Korea*
• People's Republic of China*
• Syria*
• Vietnam*
• South Yemen (PDRY)*
• North Yemen (YAR)
Africa
• Algeria*
• Angola*
• Congo*
• Equatorial Guinea*
• Ethiopia*
• Guinea*
• Guinea-Bissau*
• Mali*
• Mozambique*
• Somalia*
• Sudan*
• Togo*
• Zimbabwe*

Combat effectiveness

“The finest tank in the world” —Field Marshal Paul Ludwig Ewald von Kleist (Liddell Hart 1951)

Combat effectiveness of early war T-34s can best be evaluated in terms of 'hard' factors—armour, firepower, and mobility—and 'soft' factors: ergonomic features such as ease of use, vision devices, crew task layout and so forth. The T-34 was outstanding in hard factors and poor in soft ones.
The 'big three' of tank design have always been armour, firepower, and mobility. The T-34 was an outstanding balance of all three throughout its World War Two life cycle. In 1941 its thick, sloped armour could defeat all German anti-armour weapons at normal ranges. T-34s could be knocked out only by the towed 88mm Flak guns or at close range by 50mm and 75mm short-barrelled tank guns. The majority of German tanks in 1941 did not have 75mm guns; indeed 37mm guns were far more common. By mid-1942 the T-34 was vulnerable to improved German weapons and remained so throughout the war, but its armour protection was equal to comparable tanks such as the US M4 Sherman or German Pzkw-IV. In terms of firepower, the T-34's 76mm gun could penetrate any 1941 German tank with ease. This gun also fired an adequate HE round. In 1943, the 76mm was out-ranged by the Panther's long 75mm and the Tiger's 88mm. The introduction of the Soviet 85mm gun in 1944 did not make the T-34-85 equal in firepower, but the 85mm could penetrate both Panthers and Tigers at reasonable ranges.
In terms of mobility, the T-34's wide track, good suspension and large engine gave it unparalleled cross-country performance. First-generation German tanks could not begin to keep up.
Overall then, in hard factors the T-34 was the worldwide trend-setter for tank development in the first half of the war.
In terms of ergonomics, the T-34 was poor, despite some improvements during the war. All 76mm-armed versions were greatly hampered by the cramped two-man turret layout. The commander's battlefield visibility was poor; the forward-opening hatch forced him to observe the battlefield through a single vision slit and traversable periscope. He was also over-tasked by having to fire the main gun. In contrast, contemporary German, British and US medium tanks had much superior three-man turrets with commander, gunner and loader. The three-man turret layout allowed the tank commander to concentrate on leading his crew and co-ordinating his actions with the rest of his unit, without having to manage an individual task such as laying or loading the gun. This makes an enormous contribution to crew effectiveness. The T-34-85 corrected this problem, which had been recognised before the war. German commanders usually operated "heads-up", with the seat raised and having a full field of view, unless taking fire. In the 76mm-armed versions of the T-34, this was impossible.
Visibility from the driver's seat was also poor, with some drivers reporting that their optics were so bad they kept their hatch open slightly even in combat. Tactically, this affected the driver's ability to use terrain to their advantage, since they could not see folds in the ground as well, or have as wide a range of vision as in some other tanks. The loader also had a difficult job due to the lack of a turret basket (a rotating floor that moves as the turret turns). This problem was shared with many other tanks, for example, the US M-3 Stuart. The floor under the turret was made up of ammunition stored in small metal boxes. There were nine "ready rounds" of ammunition stowed in racks on the sides of the fighting compartment. Once these initial nine rounds were fired in combat, the loader had to pull additional ammunition out of the floor boxes. This slowed the rate of fire.
Other key factors diminishing the initial impact of T-34s on the battlefield were the poor state of leadership, tank tactics, and crew training, a hangover from Stalin's purges of the Soviet officer corps in the late 1930s, which were aggravated by the loss of the best-trained personnel during the disastrous defeats suffered by the Red Army in 1941. Many crews went into combat with only their basic military training plus seventy-two hours of classroom instruction. These problems were exacerbated by the T-34's poor ergonomics and lack of radios during the early war, making it practically impossible to co-ordinate tank units in combat. German tank soldiers found that the Soviet armour attacked in rigid formations and took little advantage of terrain (Zaloga & Grandsen 1984:126–27, 135). By 1943–44 these problems had largely been corrected, although Soviet crew training never reached the level of German training.
The T-34 was among the most important weapons systems in the Red Army in the Second World War. Since the Soviet-German front was the decisive land theatre of WWII, the importance of the T-34 can hardly be exaggerated. At the time it was first fielded in 1940, it was easily the finest tank design in the world. By mid-war it was no longer technically superior to all its opponents, but it was still better than most, and it was available in huge numbers.
The improved T-34-85 remained the standard Soviet medium tank with an uninterrupted production run until the end of the war. The Germans responded to the T-34 by introducing completely new, very expensive and complex second-generation tanks, greatly slowing the growth of their tank production and allowing the Soviets to maintain a substantial numerical superiority in tanks (Zaloga & Grandsen 1983:37).
The T-34's balanced design allowed it to replace most light, medium, and heavy tanks in Soviet service. Its evolutionary development would lead directly to the T-44 and T-54/55 series of tanks, built until 1981 and still operated today. Its service history would influence the introduction of the main battle tank (MBT) concept in modern armoured warfare.
Reference: Wikipdia

KG_Swampfox
06-06-2006, 01:20 PM
a JPEG of a T-34 wearing German colors........

Note: the commanders cupola added on.......

KG_Swampfox
06-29-2006, 03:38 PM
Gents,
And now the Panzer IV, one of the things that makes a great armored vehicle is its ability to improved upon without major structural modifications. The MKIV was continually modified till the end of the war. Great lines, and with the L/48’s a great gun. Its ground pressure was higher than the T-34, reducing the MKIVs cross country performance. A few of the variants will get there own review as they had an impact that warrants there own category.
Swamp

The Panzerkampfwagen IV (PzKpfw IV), more commonly referred to as the Panzer IV, was a tank developed by Germany and used extensively in World War II. It was designed initially as an infantry-support medium tank, to work in conjunction with the anti-tank Pzkpfw III. Later in the war, it was up-gunned and up-armored, and took over the tank-fighting role.

The Panzer IV was the most common German tank of World War II, and was used as the base for many other fighting vehicles, such as tank destroyers and self-propelled antiaircraft gun. The Panzer IV has the distinction of being the only German tank to remain in continuous production throughout all of WWII, with over 9,000 produced since 1939.

History

The Panzer IV was the workhorse of the German tank corps, being produced and used in all theatres of combat throughout the war. The design was upgraded repeatedly to deal with the changing threats from enemy forces.
On January 11, 1934, following specifications laid down by Heinz Guderian, the Army Weapons Department drew up plans for a medium tank with a maximum weight of 24,000 kg and a top speed of 35 km/h. It was intended in a support and anti-infantry role, using a low-velocity, large-caliber gun firing high-explosive shells. It was not required to deal with enemy tanks on equal terms.
Krupp, Rheinmetall, and MAN all produced prototypes, which were tested in
1935. As a result of the trials, the Krupp design was selected for full-scale production. The first Panzer IV A came off the assembly line in October of 1937, with a total of 35 being produced over the next six months.
Between 1937 and 1940, attempts were made to standardize parts between Krupp's Panzer IV and Daimler-Benz's Panzer III.

The Panzer IV was originally intended principally to deal with infantry and fortifications, while the Panzer III dealt with enemy armoured units. To this end it was equipped with the 75 mm KwK 37 L/24 gun, which was effective against soft targets but lacked much armour penetration. It had poor accuracy, because the barrel was very short (1800 mm), giving a low muzzle velocity. For comparison the L/48 Gun is 3600 mm long.

Combat experience showed that increasingly the 50 mm L/60 gun mounted on late-model Panzer III was unable to deal with enemy tanks at long range. Panzer IIIs struggled against T-34s of the Soviet Union and M4 Shermans of the United States, both of which had guns in the 75 or 76 mm calibre.

The Panzer IV's design already mounted a 75 mm gun and it was the obvious choice for the next medium tank development. As the Wehrmacht needed a tank with good anti-tank capabilities to deal with the T34, the production of the Panzer IV model F was changed to an improved model with a redesigned turret carrying a new, more powerful 75 mm L/43 anti-tank gun.

The sprocket and idler wheels were altered to take wider tracks more able to support the increased weight of a larger gun. This required a change in naming conventions: the old 75 L24-equipped Pz-IV F was renamed Pz-IV F1, and the new 75 L/43-equipped was named Pz-IV F2. The Pz-IV F2 was later renamed Pz-IV G and production continued under this name with minor improvements. In late 1942 the Pz-IV G gun was upgraded to the even longer 75 L/48 gun.
Early model Panzer IV tanks were often upgraded for increased combat efficiency. From 1943, for example, surviving Panzer IV models E/F were given additional armor and the 75 L48 gun.

The aforementioned upgrades allowed the Panzer IV to keep pace with newer designs such as the Sherman and the T-34. Production continued and was stepped up even while the more effective Panther medium tank was in service, because of the Panzer IV's low cost and greater reliability.

Small numbers of Panzer IV were supplied by Germany to its allies. Bulgaria received 88 vehicles and used them against Germans in late 1944. Finland bought 15 Panzer IV Ausf Js, which arrived too late to fight against the Soviets the Continuation War (1941-44) or against German troops in the following Lapland War (1944-45) and served as training vehicles until 1962.

Small numbers were also given to Hungary, Romania, Spain and Yugoslavia (Chetniks). In 1950s/1960s Syria bought several dozens of Panzer IVs from the USSR, France, Czechoslovakia and Spain and employed them in the 1965 conflict over Jordan headwaters (often referred to as Water War) and in the Six Days War (1967).
Armor

The Panzer IV A had 15 mm of slightly sloped homogenous steel armor on all sides, with 10 mm of armor on the top and 5 mm on the bottom. This was deemed sufficient, as the Panzer IV was intended for anti-infantry work, while Panzer IIIs were to deal with opposing tanks. In practice, Panzer IVs would frequently face enemy tanks and anti-tank guns unsupported, and the armor was upgraded to 30 mm on the front hull of the Panzer IV B, 50 mm in the IV E, and 80 mm in the IV H, with armor on the sides and rear being increased as well. Panzer IVs frequently had armor skirting or additional layers of armor added in the field.
Armament

As the Panzer IV was intended to fill an anti-infantry combat role, early models were fitted with a low-velocity 75 mm KwK 37 L/24 gun, firing high-explosive shells. After the Germans encountered the Soviet T-34, the Panzer IV F2 and G were armed with the high-velocity 75 mm KwK 40 L/43 anti-tank gun. Later IV G models, and all subsequent Panzer IVs, were armed with the longer 75 mm KwK 40 L/48 anti-tank gun.
All models of the Panzer IV had a 7.92 mm coaxial machine gun mounted in the turret, and all except the IV B and IV C had a second 7.92 mm gun in the hull.
Mobility

The Panzer IV A was powered by a 230 hp (172 kW), 12-cylinder Maybach HL 108 TR engine, giving a top speed of 30 km/h (18 mph) and a range of 150 km (95 mi). All later models were powered by the 320 hp (239 kW), 12-cylinder Maybach HL 120 TRM engine. Top speed varied among models, depending on the transmission (which was made by ZF), armor, and gun, but was around 40 km/h (25 mph). The range was generally around 200 km (125 mi).
Like all of Germany's World War II tanks, the Panzer IV used gasoline (petrol).
Variants
The word "Ausf" is the shortcut of "Ausführung", which means "version".
• Ausf A (1937-1938, 35 produced)

• Ausf B (1938, 42 produced): Thicker armor, larger engine.

• Ausf C (1938-1939, 138 produced): Minor improvements.

• Ausf D (1939-1940, 229 produced): Thicker side armor. First model intended for combat.

• Ausf E (1940-1941, 223 produced): Thicker front and side armor.

• Ausf F1 (1941-1942, 462 produced): Simplified construction.

• Ausf F2 (1942, 175 produced): Armed with a long (75 mm/L43) anti-tank gun.

• Ausf G (1942-1943, 1687 produced): Thicker turret armor, winter combat modifications.

• Ausf H (1943-1944, 3774 produced): Longer, more powerful gun (75 mm/L48) and thicker armor.

• Ausf J (1944-1945, 1758 produced): Turret traverse engine replaced with an extra fuel tank.

• Tauchpanzer (1940, 42 converted): A "diving tank". Ausf D converted for Operation Sealion. All openings were sealed, commander's cupola, gun mantlet and machine gun mount covered with rubber sheeting, turret ring protected by inflatable rubber ring. Exhausts were fitted with non-return valves. Air was supplied via a flexible 18-meter hose held on the surface by a buoy. Maximum safe depth was about 15 meters, maximum underwater speed about 3 mph (5 km/h). Some were used by the 18th Panzer Regiment during River Bug crossing in Operation Barbarossa.

• Panzerbefehlswagen IV (PzBefWg IV) (1944, 97 converted): Ausf H converted to command vehicle, were fitted with second radio.

• Panzerbeobachtungwagen IV (PzBeogWg IV) (1944-1945, 96 converted): Pz IV, mostly Ausf J, converted to Panzerartillerie Forward Observation Officer's vehicle. Were fitted with additional periscope to the left of the commander's cupla and with additional radios.

Designs based on chassis
• Möbelwagen: 3.7 cm Flak in an open-topped superstructure.
• Wirbelwind: Quad 2 cm Flak in a fully rotating open turret.
• Ostwind: 3.7 cm Flak in a fully rotating open turret.
• Kugelblitz: Twin 3 cm Flak in an enclosed ball turret. Very limited production.
• Brummbär: Armed with a 15 cm SiG-33 infantry gun.
• Jagdpanzer IV: 7.5 cm L/48 (early) and L/70 (later) tank hunter.
• StuG IV: Panzer IV with a StuG III superstructure.
• 10.5 cm K18 auf Panzer Selbstfahrlafette IVa: Assault gun / tank destroyer. Two prototypes built were used on the Eastern Front.
• 10.5 cm leFH18/1 (Sf) auf Geschützwagen IVb (SdKfz 165/1) (1942): 10.5 cm self-propelled howitzer. The howitzer was mounted in an open-topped turret with traverse 70 degrees to each side on a shortened Panzer IV chassis. Eight prototypes were produced by Krupp in November 1942 and sent to the Eastern Front for trials.

• 10.5 cm leFH18/1 L/28 auf Waffenträger GW IVb, nicknamed Heuschrecke (Grasshopper) (1943, 3 prototypes built): 105 mm self-propelled howitzer. The howitzer was mounted in a turret with full-round traverse on a slightly lengthened Panzer IV chassis. The turret could be removed by means of a lifting gantry and placed on a concrete base or on a wheeled carriage carried on the vehicle, while the vehicle itself could act as an ammunition carrier.

• Brückenlegepanzer IV / Brückenleger IV: Bridgelayer based on Ausf C / D. Nine-meter bridge had a 28-ton capacity. The vehicle was found to be too heavy for the suspension and the design was canceled in 1941. 20 units produced were used by the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, and 10th Panzer Divisions in the 1940 campaign.

• Infanterie Sturmsteg: Infantry Assault Bridge, Panzer IV chassis carrying a telescopic catwalk. 2 units produced were used during the 1940 campaign and during the Operation Barbarossa.

• Munitionspanzerwagen IV: Ammunition carrier.

• Munitionsschlepper für Karlgerät: Ammunition carrier rounds for the Karl 600 mm mortar based on Ausf D. Could carry 3 rounds. Was fitted with a 3-ton electric crane.

• Bergepanzer (1944, 36 produced): A recovery vehicle, essentially a turretless Panzer IV chassis fitted with a crane.

• Land-Wasser Schlepper / Panzerfähre: An amphibious tractor based on Panzer IV chassis which carried a large pontoon and a cabin.

• Geschützwagen III/IV, a lengthened chassis based on that of Panzer IV with Panzer III components, was used for the Nashorn tank destroyer, Hummel 15 cm self-propelled howitzer and Leichte PzH18/40/2 auf Geschützwagen III/IV (Sf) 10.5 cm self-propelled howitzer.

Reference:Wikipedia

KG_Swampfox
11-06-2006, 03:09 PM
Gents,
After a brief sabbatical from this post, I’m back on track and bring you the KV-1 series of heavy tank.
It certainly contributed to the defense of the motherland during the critical years of 41-42.
Not fast, not classic in lines, but certainly fearsome from a German perspective.
The SU 152 will get its own review, as its contribution during the battle of Kursk warrants comment.

Swamp

The Kliment Voroshilov tank

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

model 1940 s ekranami (with appliqué), or KV1-E

KV-1 model 1941

General characteristics
Crew 5
Length 6.75 m
Width 3.32 m
Height 2.71 m
Weight 45 tonnes
Armour and armament
Armour 90 mm
Main armament 76.2 mm gun model F-34

Secondary armament 4×DT machine guns

Mobility
Power plant 12-cyl. diesel model V-2
600 hp (450 kW)
Suspension Torsion bar
Road speed 35 km/h
Power/weight 13 hp/tonne
Range 335 km

The Kliment Voroshilov (KV) tanks were a series of Soviet heavy tanks, named after the Soviet defense commissar and politician Kliment Voroshilov. At the time of the German invasion of the Soviet Union in World War II, these were amongst the large number of Soviet tanks that were superior to German tanks.

Design
After disappointing results with the multi-turreted T-35 heavy tank, Soviet tank designers started drawing up replacements. The T-35 conformed to the 1920s notion of a 'breakthrough tank' with very heavy firepower, but poor mobility and armor protection. The Spanish Civil War demonstrated the need for much heavier armor on tanks, and was the main influence on Soviet tank design just prior to World War II.

The T-100 and SMK were competing designs originally specified with five turrets, reduced to three, and finally built with two.
Several competing designs were offered, and even more were drawn up prior to reaching prototype stage. All had heavy armor, torsion-bar suspension, wide tracks, and were of welded and cast construction.
One of the main competing designs was the SMK, which lowered the number of turrets from the T-35's five to two, mounting the same combination of 76.2 mm and 45 mm weapons. When two prototypes were ordered though, it was decided to create one with only a single turret, but more armour. This new single-turret tank was the KV. The smaller hull size and single turret enabled the designer to add more armor while keeping the weight within manageable limits.

Combat
The KV-2 Heavy Artillery Tank's 152-mm howitzer was housed in an enormous turret. It was called the Dreadnought by its crews.
When the Soviets entered the Winter War, the SMK, KV and a third design, the T-100, were sent to be tested in combat conditions. The heavy armour of the KV proved highly resilient to Finnish anti-tank weapons, making it more effective than the other designs. It was soon put into production, both as the original 76-mm-armed KV-1 Heavy Tank and the 152mm howitzer-mounting assault gun, the KV-2 Heavy Artillery Tank.

When Operation Barbarossa began, the Red Army was equipped with 508 KV tanks (Zaloga & Grandsen 1984:125). So effective was its armour that the Germans were incapable of destroying it with their tanks or anti-tank weapons and had to rely on air support and anti-aircraft artillery (flak) or 105mm howitzers to knock them out. On 23–24 June, a single KV-2 effectively pinned down elements of the German 6th Panzer Division for a full day at the bridgeheads of the Dubissa River below Raseiniai, Lithuania, playing a prominent role in delaying the advance of Panzergruppe 4 on Leningrad (Zaloga & Grandsen 1981:10–12).

The 45-ton KV outweighed most other tanks of the era, being about twice as heavy as the heaviest contemporary German tanks. The KV's strengths included armor that was impenetrable by any tank-mounted weapon then in service except at pointblank range, good firepower, and good floatation on soft ground. Along with these strengths, its flaws were quite serious. It was very slow and difficult to steer. The transmission was unreliable. The ergonomics were poor, with limited visibility and no turret basket. Later, by 1942, when the Germans were fielding large numbers of long-barrelled 50-mm and 75-mm guns, the KVs armor was no longer invincible, and other flaws came to the fore. While its 76.2 mm gun was adequate, it was the same gun as carried by smaller, faster, and cheaper T-34 medium tanks. It was much more difficult to manufacture and thus more expensive than the T-34. In short, its advantages no longer outweighed its drawbacks.

Development
Nonetheless, because of its initial superior performance, the KV-1 was chosen as one the few tanks to continue production following the Soviet reorganization of tank production. Due to the new standardization, it shared the same engine, gun and transmission as the T-34, was built in large quantities, and received frequent upgrades.

When production shifted to the Ural mountain 'Tankograd' complex, the KV-2 was dropped. The KV-2, while impressive on paper, had been designed as a slow-moving bunker-buster. It was less useful in the type of highly mobile, fluid warfare that developed in WW2. The turret was so heavy it was difficult to traverse on non-level terrain, and it was expensive to produce. Only about 250 KV-2s were made, all in 1940-41, making it one of the rarer Soviet tanks.

As the war continued, the KV-1 continued to get more armour to compensate for the increasing effectiveness of German weapons. This culminated in the KV-1 model 1942 (KV-1C), which was protected by very heavy armour, but lacked a corresponding improvement to the engine. Tankers complained that although they were well-protected, their mobility was poor and they had no firepower advantage over the T-34 medium tank.

In response to criticisms, the lighter KV-1S (Russian language: КВ-1С) was released, with thinner armour and a smaller, lower turret in order to reclaim some speed. Importantly, the KV-1S also had a commander's cupola with all-around vision blocks, a first for a Soviet heavy tank. However, the thinning-out of the armor called into question why the tank was being produced at all, when the T-34 could seemingly do everything a KV could do, much more cheaply. The Soviet heavy tank program was close to cancellation in mid-1943.
The appearance of the German Panther tank in the summer of 1943 convinced the Red Army to make a serious upgrade of its tank force for the first time since 1941. Soviet tanks needed bigger guns to take on the growing numbers of Panthers and the few Tigers.

A stopgap upgrade to the KV series was the short-lived KV-85. This was a KV-1S with a new turret designed for the KV-13, mounting the same 85 mm D-5T gun as the SU-85 and early versions of the T-34-85. Already-high demand for the gun slowed production of the KV-85 tremendously, and only 130 were built before the KV design was replaced. The KV-85 was produced in the fall and winter of 1943-44, and most were expended that spring and summer.

Successor
A new heavy tank design entered production late in 1943 based on the work done on the KV-13. Because Kliment Voroshilov had fallen out of political favour, the new heavy tank series was named the Iosif Stalin tank, after Iosif (Joseph) Stalin. The KV-13 program's IS-85 prototype was accepted for production as the IS-1 heavy tank.
After testing with both 100 mm and 122 mm guns, the 122 mm gun was selected as the main armament of the new tank. Proving-ground tests showed that the larger A-19 122 mm gun could defeat the armour of the German Panther tank.
The 122 mm fired a much larger HE round than the 100 mm and there was a surplus of production capacity for the gun and ammunition. The IS-122 design replaced the IS-85, and began mass production as the IS-2. The 85 mm gun saw service in the lighter SU-85 and T-34-85.

Some KVs remained in service right up to the end of the war, although in greatly diminishing numbers as they wore out or were knocked out. The 260th Guards Heavy Breakthrough Tank Regiment, based on the Leningrad front, operated a number of 1941-vintage KV-1s at least as late as the summer of 1944 before re-equipping with IS-2s. A regiment of KVs saw service in Manchuria in August 1945, and a few KV-85s were used in the Crimea in the summer of 1944.
The Finnish forces had two KVs, a Model 1940 and Model 1941, both of which received minor upgrades in their service, and both of which survived the war. A single captured KV-2 was used by German forces in 1945 against US forces in the Ruhr.

Models
Note: the Soviets did not recognize production models of KV-1 during the war, therefore designations like model 1939 (or M1939, Russian: Obr. 1939) were introduced later in military publications. These designations however are not strict and describe leading changes, while other changes might be adapted earlier or later in specific production batches. Designations like KV-1A were applied by the Germans during the war.

KV-1
Model 1939

KV-1 model 1939

First production models, these tanks were prone to frequent breakdowns, but were highly resilient to anti-tank weapons during the Winter War. These tanks were armed with the 76 mm L-11 tank gun, recognizable due to a recuperator above a barrel. Most tanks were lacking the hull machine gun. 141 were built.

Model 1940 (German designation: KV-1A) – Used the F-32 76 mm gun and a new mantlet. The main production model by the time of the German invasion.

Model 1940 s ekranami ("with screens") or KV1-E – with additional bolted-on appliqué armour and F-32 gun.

Model 1941 (KV-1B) – Up-armoured with 25 to 35 mm added to the turret, hull front and sides. Turret was now cast instead of welded. This tank was armed with the longer-barrelled F-34, and later ZiS-5 76.2 mm tank guns.

Model 1942 (KV-1C) – Fully cast turret with thicker armour or welded turret with thicker armour, again up-armoured and used an improved engine and the 76 mm ZiS-5 tank gun.

KV-1S – A lighter variant of late 1942 with higher speed, but thinner armour. A new, smaller, cast turret and redesigned rear hull were used. 1370 were built.

KV-85 – A KV-1S with the 85 mm D-5T gun in an IS-1's turret, 130 of these tanks were produced in September-October 1943 as a stopgap until the IS tank series entered production.

KV-13 - Prototype designation for an advanced redesign of the KV series, which was renamed and resulted in the production of the IS-2.

Variants

KV-2 (334) – A heavy assault tank with the M-10 152 mm howitzer, the KV-2 was produced at the same time as the KV-1. Due to the size of its heavy turret and gun, the KV-2 was slower and had a much higher profile than the KV-1. The extra weight also increased the breakdown rate of the vehicle and production was soon halted. The original KV-2 was built on the chassis of the KV-1, while the improved KV-2B was built on that of the KV-1 M1940.

KV-8 (42) – A KV-1 fitted with the ATO-41 flame-thrower in the turret, beside a machine gun. In order to accommodate the new weapon, the main gun was restricted to a smaller 45 mm Gun M1932, though it was disguised to look like the standard 76 mm.

KV-8S (25) – A KV-1S with the coaxial turret machine gun replaced by an ATO-41 flame-thrower, and the main gun restricted to a 45 mm.

KV-14 – Prototype designation for a 152 mm self-propelled gun, accepted for service as the SU-152.