PDA

View Full Version : Designation of MP44 for STG44 how and why

Sickpup
12-01-2006, 10:50 PM
From what I read, can't quite remember where ,Think it was inside the Third Reich by speer. That Hitler was always in disfavor with the semi-auto/auto rifles. He stated that with a 5 shot bolt rifle the troops will make each shot count and save ammo for the squads main weapon the mp 34/42. So this selective fire rifle with a high capacity magazine firing an intermedite sized round was developed and prototyped under a machine pistol code mp-44 ,as not to upset the Furher.Especially since this weapon was essencially developed and prototyped behind his back.

Then the day arrived.The generals unvieled this new weaopon to Hitler, he picked it up examined it with great enthusiasm,even breaking a slight smile.
He then uttered the words Sturmgewehr (Stg). Hence the term assult rifle was coined ,and of course the designers were much relieved. Thereafter the official german army designation was changed to stg44.

KG_Cloghaun
12-03-2006, 06:10 PM
Thanks for sharing this information, Sickpup. What I've always wanted to know is why the Germans even undertook the STG, considering they were already coming out with the Gewehr 43'. Or why they didn't chose one over the other period instead of splitting their resources. I suppose it's just another case of standard op. procedure for the Germans. They loved their toys..

Sickpup
12-04-2006, 06:58 AM
Ah the beloved g43. I play a fps that is based on realism,not a kiddie frag fest. Red Orchestra:ostfront.

The simulation gives me a feel of the different soviet and german weapons.
The g43 over 50 meters is thier best weapon imo.It delivers the hardest hitting round of any semi-auto,axis or allied and has a great 10 round box.

But in close quarters you would prefer a machine pistol. however the smg/mp user is worthless past 50-60 meters. With the stg44 u can select it to semi-auto and have decent effectiveness in the 50-200 meter range. and the 30 round clip is sweet.

so I say the stg44 was to replace the mp40 for frontline units.

where as the g3 was to replace the 98k.

Yes germans at times made little sense, like the late model panzerIV having its fuel tank significantly increased. At a time (late 44) when an older model in the field was lucky to have a 1/4-1/2 tank of fuel in its tank to begin with.

Think my next post will be about the 3 main semi-auto rifles in the war and which was best.

KG_AGCent
12-04-2006, 12:16 PM
IMHO Red Orchestra is the closest thing to a combat simulator yet made. Sickpup is right about the effectiveness of the STG in RO.

KG_Panzerschreck
12-05-2006, 12:26 AM
Ah the beloved g43. I play a fps that is based on realism,not a kiddie frag fest. Red Orchestra:ostfront.

The simulation gives me a feel of the different soviet and german weapons.
The g43 over 50 meters is thier best weapon imo.It delivers the hardest hitting round of any semi-auto,axis or allied and has a great 10 round box.

But in close quarters you would prefer a machine pistol. however the smg/mp user is worthless past 50-60 meters. With the stg44 u can select it to semi-auto and have decent effectiveness in the 50-200 meter range. and the 30 round clip is sweet.

so I say the stg44 was to replace the mp40 for frontline units.

where as the g3 was to replace the 98k.

Yes germans at times made little sense, like the late model panzerIV having its fuel tank significantly increased. At a time (late 44) when an older model in the field was lucky to have a 1/4-1/2 tank of fuel in its tank to begin with.

Think my next post will be about the 3 main semi-auto rifles in the war and which was best.

Hi sickpup. I have made an extensive study of WWII rifles over the years. Ive owned and shot all the main bolt actions from the war and shot my Dads M1 Garand and M1 Carbine.

By any standards, even todays, Bolts are always more accurate and have a longer range than any semi. If your into shooting, id suggest you get a hold of a K98 mauser sometime and take it out for a test drive on a rifle range. You'll be impressed im sure. They can still be had in good shooting condition for under 200.00 dollars in most places in the USA.

As for the G-43 and STG-44, ive never been so lucky to shoot one of those. From what ive read over the years they were two different solutions to the same problem, replacing the K98.

The arms companies in Germany during the war never worked together, they always acted independend of each other unless otherwise ordered to do so by the German high command. Mauser, Designers of the K98 and the G-41 & G-43, since almost the first day of the war when it came across the Soviet SVT's decided they wanted to make a German semi-auto rifle to replace the K98. Their first attempt, the G-41, was basicly a Mauser rip off of the SVT with a few tweeks to it and it was rechambered to fit the 7.92mm round. This gun failed. It was uncontrollable when fired fast in semi mode and was prone to jamming. Pretty much the same problem the Russian's had with the SVT's. The boys at Mauser didnt give up and they worked hard and came up with the G-43. A greatly improved version and they finally had the weapon they always wanted. But it was too expensive to make and too labor intensive to produce in vast quantities to ever replace all the K98's in service. If they would of had this gun at the beginning of the war it would of been a mouch different story i belive. BTW, every G-43 produced had flutes cut into the side of the reciever to accept a sniper scope.

Hanel on the other hand, designers of the MP-44, wanted to replace the K98 as well. They came at it from a whole different direction. They did a study where they found that most riflemen dont fire at anything past 200-300m. So why have a rifle that could shoot past 1000m? They also found that soldiers were more confident in themselves if they had an automatic weapon. They thought, "Why not make a gun that does both"? After research they settled on the 7.92 Kurtz{short} round. Not as strong as the rifle bullet but stronger than the standard 9mm pistol SMG round. They had semi-auto fire for single shot, aimed fire and full auto for close in SMG type work. The first prototypes were on the Russian front in '42 and by the spring of '44 they pumping out the MP-44, as you know they were only designated as a machine pistol to throw everyone off of their trail because hitler had forbidden the designing and building of new rifle types to save on resources. The reason it could of been successfull was because it was cheap to make and was a very effective weapon out to 500m on semi-auto. It was mainly made from stamped metal. It just came to late in the war to have any impact. If the war would of gone on another year and the Germans could of continued making these, the allies would of been in for a world of hurt. A truely devestating and revolutionary weapon.

Sickpup
12-05-2006, 07:19 AM
I'll prolly make a lil resesrch project comparing the g43,svt 40, and m1 garand.
I'de love to know where to find balistics data on ww2 small arms. threres also the story of the fg42 , developed my the luftwaffe. Yah, bolt shot for shot is devestatingly powerful, geting hit by a 7.92x51 Rhienmetall must be brutal. As far as I've noticed this was the heaviest standard round of any ww2 army.

As far as the g43 with nothces for scope, I have read that it came boxed with a 4x scope standard ,and was an excellent sniper rifle.

I'm no expert on ww2 small arms ,but I'll pursue that area.

If any have good sources let me know.

Thanks,
The Pup