PDA

View Full Version : Slightly Used KV-1 Tank

KG_Jag
03-28-2007, 03:33 PM
Although it's about 65 years old, it has very low mileage because it never quite made it across this river...

Check out the pix here:

http://www.around.spb.ru/variety/kv/neva19042002/gallery.php?ID=rcs&N=6

KG_Panzerschreck
03-29-2007, 01:51 AM
Ive seen that site before. Pretty cool that they are gonna restore it and that it is still in good shape.

KG_CrimsonTrooper
03-29-2007, 11:02 AM
Very cool pics.... it's a little scary seeing the unexploded ordinace that was in just a few feet of water...

Thanks for posting the link Bill.

KG_Cloghaun
03-29-2007, 11:27 AM
This is a stupid question, but is it possible for unexploded ordinance (handgrenades, shells, mines) that have been buried/underwater for all those years (65+) to still be capable of going off/exploding? It looks like they just casually piled them all up on the shore. If they were a real danger, you'd think they would take precautions of some sort.

KG_Jag
03-29-2007, 01:01 PM
I don't know the answer to Frank's question, but then the Soviets/Russians have never been too big on safety. Think Chernobyl and the Kursk.

KG_Panzerschreck
03-29-2007, 01:10 PM
This is a stupid question, but is it possible for unexploded ordinance (handgrenades, shells, mines) that have been buried/underwater for all those years (65+) to still be capable of going off/exploding? It looks like they just casually piled them all up on the shore. If they were a real danger, you'd think they would take precautions of some sort.

I would say that the odds are slim to none, but you never know. If that was American, British or German ammo id be handling it alot more carefully seeing that it was made to a much higher standard.

KG_Swampfox
03-29-2007, 04:03 PM
Yes it can be dangerous...
Even if the explosive charge is still dry,
some explosives become unstable as they age
I noticed the careless handling of them also...