PDA

View Full Version : The Pacific War

KG_Cloghaun
11-17-2007, 02:14 AM
As many of you already know, HBO is bringing a "Band of Brothers" like mini-series to TV. This time it's a group of Marines fighting their way through the Pacific against the Japanese.

This a link to a diary being kept by Captain Dale A. Dye, USMC (Ret), who is training the actors & extras for the battle scenes. You've seen him in alot of war movies, like Platoon for example. It's actually a very good read if your interested in behind-the-scenes stuff for what goes into making a war movie look authentic. Tom Hanks & Steven Spielberg are producing/directing. Those guys are aces in my book.

If you go to page 6 that's where the story begins-

http://www.warriorsinc.com/cfblog/category_blogs.cfm?category=2B9161F0-C297-FD96-BDFC7348C0AFDBFD&pagenum=1

KG_AGCent
11-17-2007, 12:15 PM
Reading this gave me the chills! Someone on the development team actually "gets it"! Thx for the link, Franky.

There are still some old folks here in the city who remember those times and talking to them is a real inspiration. While the younger generation of Australians (much like our younger generation of Americans) doesn't know much about World War II, those old Aussies remember that it was a close run affair back in 1942 when the Japanese Empire was casting greedy eyes on Australia. They understand that only the intervention of the American Marines put a stop to that and they remain grateful for it. As I'm an old 1st Marine Division guy from Vietnam and subsequent peacetime service, it's really inspiring for me to hear those sentiments. I thought I'd done my absolute best on Band of Brothers, but I'm going to have to raise the bar for this one. Millions of current, former and future Marines will be watching and I can't afford to screw the pooch. [...] Stay tuned. Semper Fidelis.