PDA

View Full Version : Imagine This Happening To You.....

KG_Panzerschreck
11-20-2007, 01:54 AM
10 years ago, the only hobby shop for 3 hours in any direction closes up shop for good.

Fast forward 10 years to saturday. Brandi and I were driving home from grocery shooping and we stop in at a large convinience store which we drive by all the time, but never stop in, to get some cash out of the ATM. The front of the place is all parked full so we drive around back. And what do i see in front of me but a place called "Gene's Trains and Hobbies"! Whoa, whats this place i say. Intriged i wonder in thinking they probably only sell train stuff. To my wonderment and utter suprise, they have a whole row full of WWII armor! Italerie, Dragon, Tamiya, including the whole new line of 1/48th scale stuff and several other makers as well. I almost fainted. I went up and talked to the owner and he told me he has been open for 4 YEARS! I almost cried. I told him i had no idea he was there and he siad yeah, we get that alot from people who find us for the first time. His store cant be seen from the road at all. But at least i finally found the place lol. Now i have a local shop to support again. His prices are pretty good as well. I already have my eyes on about 5 or 6 kits, hehe.

KG_Panzerschreck
11-20-2007, 02:02 AM
As i recently posted, i just discovered a new place to buy models in my area and i no longer have to worry about searcing for a well stocked hobby store. I couldnt take it anymore, found the place saturday and i went up today and bought two kits already, LOL.

The first is Dragon Kit#6114 - Kettenkrad w/Puppchen from the 1:35 scale '39 - '45 series. I paid the paltry sum of $18.84 + Tax.

The second is Academy's Kit#1398 - M3A1 Stuart Light Tank, 1:35 scale with a fully detailed interior and it also comes with provisions and markings for 2 USA Army Desert versions, 2 USMC versions and 2 Soviet Lend Lease versions. And i got this kit for a steal IMHO at $22.84 + Tax.

Im as happy as a little kid at Christmas time!:laugh:

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd168/KG_Panzerschreck/Ketten-PuppchenModel.jpg

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd168/KG_Panzerschreck/StuartModel.jpg

KG_AirborneBob
11-20-2007, 08:18 AM
Im jealous...great looking kits at good prices...how are they stocked on supplies, paint and such?

KG_Panzerschreck
11-20-2007, 02:43 PM
Im jealous...great looking kits at good prices...how are they stocked on supplies, paint and such?

They have the full line of Testor Model Master paints in the little bottles and spray cans. They also have the whole line of Tamiya paints in bottles. And since they are mainly a RR shop, they have a whole row filled with nothing but paint for model RR's. Plus the same row on the other side is loaded with diorama supplies for model RR, alot of which i could use for my stuff. He also has a full supply of very high quality brushes in more sizes than i ever knew they made.

I Talked to the owner at length last night and he is going to stock air brushes and supplies for them soon.

Also besides the 1:35 & 1:48 lines he has some beautiful ship models as well. He has these huge U-boat Models. Not sure of the scale but the boxes are about 2' 1/2 to 3' feet long. Some big battleships as well.

And for Bill he only has a few dicast but what he has are big. He has 3 different HUGE B-17's. I couldnt tell the scale or price because they were behind the counter but they were awesome looking. He also had one of the big Tiger Is and one of the Tiger IIs.

Yes folks, im a very very happy man. :star::banana3[1]::dancing:

KG_SSpoom
11-20-2007, 04:43 PM
Sweet !! there arent many finds like that store around anymore =)
I guess we know where your spare cash will end up for a while =)
I built an Acadamy Stuart "Honey" version and its a nice kit

KG_Panzerschreck
11-20-2007, 11:19 PM
Sweet !! there arent many finds like that store around anymore =)
I guess we know where your spare cash will end up for a while =)
I built an Acadamy Stuart "Honey" version and its a nice kit

He had that Honey Stuart there as well. I almost got it, but i wanted to do the USMC version some day so thats why i went with the one i got.

This is my first Academy kit and i must say im very impressed with it. Its a very clean kit, it wont need cleaned up hardly at all. You have the option of individual track links or the soft rubber ones, which makes me happy because im terrible with the put together tracks. The decals are some of the best ive ever seen. The instructions are very large and in a blown up format that an almost blind person could read, very nice. And its dirt cheap compared to the other AFV Club, Dragon, Italeri, Tamiya & Trumpeter models he had in there. They were even cheaper than the Revel models, which i couldnt belive. They are usually the cheapest.