View Single Post
Unread 08-28-2006, 04:56 PM
Oberstleutnant

Chamberlain sent Company B, commanded by Captain Walter G. Morrill, out to the left as skirmishers to protect his flank. Cut off by the advancing Rebels, Morrill's men hid behind a stone wall. There they were joined by 14 of Berdan's Sharpshooters, who had previously been driven from in front of Round Top. This occurrence was subsequently to have important consequences.

The Alabama troops struck at 6 p.m., and the fighting immediately became intense. Oates later described the struggle: "I ordered my regiment to drive the Federals from the ledge of rocks, gain the enemy's rear, and drive him from the hill. My men obeyed and advanced about half way to the enemy's position, but the fire was so destructive that my line wavered like a man trying to walk against a strong wind, and then slowly, doggedly, gave back a little."

Oates ordered another advance: "We drove the Federals from their strong defensive position; five times they rallied and charged us, twice coming so near that some of my men had to use their bayonet." Another charge by the Alabama troops and the "20th Maine was driven back from the ledge but not farther than to the next ledge on the mountainside."

Fighting was now at close quarters, so close that--for once--the fabled bayonet actually became a weapon instead of a mere threat. One 20th Maine private, emboldened or maddened by the fight, tried to grab the colors from the 15th Alabama's color-bearer, John G. Archibald. As the Yankee made a sudden lunge for the flag, Sergeant Pat O'Connor coolly stepped forward and jabbed a bayonet into the Federal's head.

The noise of battle, as might be imagined, was deafening. Captain James H. Ellison, commanding Company C, cupped his hand to his ear as Oates shouted an order. Then, in the process of executing the ordered maneuver, Ellison suddenly fell with a bullet through the head. He turned over onto his back, raised his arms, gave a shudder and died. The rest of the company, horrified by the sight, lost momentum and gathered around their fallen leader until Oates got them started forward again.

Another company commander, Captain Henry C. Brainard of Company G, fell among the rocky ledges of Little Round Top. His last words were, "O God, that I could see my mother!"

Even more grievous to Oates, on a personal level, was the loss of his younger brother John, who now succeeded to Brainard's command. The younger Oates had been sick that day and had only reached the battlefield after his brother found him a horse to ride. Colonel Oates then came upon him Lying sick in a field and suggested that he could, with honor, remain behind the lines. "Brother, I will not do it," said John Oates. "If I were to remain here people would say that I did it through cowardice; no, sir, I am an officer and will never disgrace the uniform I wear; I shall go through, unless, I am killed, which I think is quite likely." John Oates fell dead, struck by several bullets, moments later.

Theodore Gerrish of the 20th Maine described the battle from his side: "Ten minutes have passed since we formed the line...but we have no indications of the enemy: 'But look! Look! Look!' exclaim half a hundred men in our regiment at the same time; and no wonder, for right in our front...we see the lines of the enemy. The conflict opens...the carnage began. Our regiment was mantled in fire and smoke.

"I wish that I could picture with my pen the awful details of that hour--how rapidly the cartridges were torn from the boxes and stuffed in the smoking muzzles of the guns; how the steel rammers clashed and clanged in the heated barrels; how the men's hands and faces grew grim and black with burning powder; how our little line, baptized with fire, reeled to and fro as it advanced or was pressed back; how our officers bravely encouraged the men to hold and recklessly exposed themselves to the enemy's fire--a terrible medley of cries, shouts, cheers, groans, prayers, curses, bursting shells, whizzing rifle bullets and clanging steel.

"The enemy was pouring a terrible fire upon us, his superior forces giving him a great advantage....The air seemed to be alive with lead. The lines at times were so near each other that the hostile gun barrels almost touched....At one time there was a brief lull in the carnage, and our shattered line was closed up, but soon the contest raged again with renewed fierceness....Many of our companies have suffered fearfully....But there is no relief and the carnage goes on."

Oates now decided to concentrate the 15th Alabama on his right in an effort to outflank the left end of the Union line. Warned that "something very strange was going on" behind the attacking Confederates, Chamberlain climbed atop a large boulder and saw Oates' flanking column moving to attack the left flank. The 20th Maine was in a very tight spot. Chamberlain had to maneuver to protect his left flank while actively engaged with the 47th Alabama along his entire front. He reported, "Without betraying our peril to any but one or two officers, I had the right wing move by the left flank, taking intervals of a pace or two...extending so as to cover the whole front then engaged; and at the same time moved the left wing to the left rear, making a large angle at the color which was now brought up to the front where our left had first rested."

The 20th Maine's line now resembled a "V" composed of a single rank of men. "We were not a moment too soon," reported Chamberlain, for the 15th Alabama rushed forward against what they expected to be an unprotected left flank, reaching within 10 paces before being stopped by a sudden deadly volley by the new left wing of the 20th Maine. "From that moment began a struggle fierce and bloody beyond any that I have witnessed and which lasted in all its fury a full hour," reported Chamberlain. Each side fought like madmen. The 20th Maine regimental history simply states, "No one could ever describe this part of the fight coherently." Chamberlain remembered that "the edge of the conflict swayed to and fro, with wild whirlpools and eddies. At times I saw around me more of the enemy than of my own men."