View Single Post
Unread 08-15-2008, 11:09 AM
Oberste Befehlshaber (Ret.)
Oberst

Send a message via MSN to KG_AGCent

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG_Cloghaun View Post
To bring Ukraine and Georgia into NATO would put America in the middle of these quarrels. We could be dragged into a confrontation with Russia over Abkhazia, or South Ossetia, or who owns Sebastopol. To bring these ex-republics of the Soviet Union into NATO would be an affront to Moscow not unlike 19th century Britain bringing the Confederate state of South Carolina under the protection of the British Empire.

How would Lincoln's Union have reacted to that?
While I believe the best way to contain the resurgence of the high evil of communism which we see in Russia is containment within the NATO framework, without an "ally" willing to share some of the burden, on a purely "scales of justice" sense, I can see no compelling reason to even remain a member state of NATO much less send troops in to defend another member state.

Frankly, if the British Empire had had the requisite moral fortitude and cultural empathy for the CSA and seen to it to offer aid and protection, so much the better. SCOTUS, having found NO ILLEGALITY in the Constitution regarding secession, albeit after the fact, leaves it clear that the methods used by Lincoln were immoral, violent and completely against the under-pinning principle of self-determination laid out in the Declaration of Independence and ensconced in the Constitution.

Ambiguous self-interest and threatened revenue prevented any foreign power from coming to the aid of the CSA in spite of the rightness of it's cause. I see the same scenario being played out right before our eyes. Fledgeling democracies freshly freed from 80 years of repression and tyranny are being forced at gun point back into the Russian hegemony. I see an eerie resemblance between Putin's ride through Georgia and Sherman's ride through Georgia.

Miserable and weak. That is what the West has become. No longer deserving of the blessing showered down on it.