View Single Post
Unread 06-15-2006, 01:16 AM
Generalleutnant

Send a message via MSN to KG_CrimsonTrooper Send a message via Yahoo to KG_CrimsonTrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG_Panzerschreck
Squirrel Hasenpfeffer

4 lbs. dressed squirrel legs and backs *
1 cup sliced onions
3/4 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup sour cream
1 cup dry red wine
2 tbsp sugar
1 tea. salt
4 tbsp butter
1/2 tea. fresh ground pepper
1/2 cup flour
2 bay leaves
1 tbsp mixed pickling spices
1/2 cup chopped onions

Cut squirrel into chunks and soak in cold salt water for one hour. Drain and dry.
Mix wine, vinegar, salt,pepper, bay leaves, chopped onions and pickling spices in ceramic or glass bowl. Add squirrel peices and let marinate in refrigerator for 2 or 3 days. Drain peices of suqirrel and save marinade. Dry squirrel and roll in flour
Melt butter in dutch oven or cast iron skillet, brown squirrel and sliced onions. Pour off any fat, add sugar and 1-1/2 cups marinade. Cover and cook on low heat for 1-2 hrs. or until squirrel is tender. Add more marinade if needed. Mix sour cream into gravy just before serving.

* If Squirrel isnt your thing or isnt readily available, substitute Rabbit which is what is traditionally used in a Hasenpfeffer recipe. We have 2 seperate recipes for Rabbit and Squirrel, this one being the Squirrel recipe of course. I however would be hunted down and killed if i ever gave up my families Rabbit Hasenpfeffer recipe so you'll have to make do with this one. Which BTW is delicious and a very good one if i must say so myself. Happy Hunting and Eating!
I can't read the recipe can someone please make the type a little bigger please...

- Emiliano Zapata