Go Back   Kampfgruppe Forums > The Depot > SSpoom's Basement

We are happy to announce open registration on the KG forums has begun! Welcome everyone!

View Poll Results: What Was The Defining Moment In American History?
The Discovery Of The Americas 0 0%
The American Revolution 4 28.57%
The Louisiana Purchase 0 0%
The American Civil War 6 42.86%
The Emancipation Proclimation 0 0%
The Subjugation/Removal Of The Indians 1 7.14%
WWI 0 0%
WWII 1 7.14%
The Nuclear Bomb/Technology 0 0%
Other - Please Explain What & Why 4 28.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 06-15-2006, 01:24 AM
Recruit. Off./ Global Mod
Generaloberst

Default What Was The Defining Moment In American History?

What Was The Defining Moment In American History? Is the new poll question. Be sure to state your case for each of the options you voted for please. As always we are interested in a lively debate! You may vote more than once but please, please, DO NOT vote more than three times. Thank you.
Unread 06-15-2006, 07:12 AM

Default You missed one!

The war of 1812-14 against Britian/Canada. Will expand later... I have to go to work now..... great post idea!
Unread 06-15-2006, 08:58 AM
Generalleutnant

Other: The Death of Stonewall Jackson at Chancellorsville.

In brief, Jackson dies at Chancellorsville and his Corps is divided amongst 3 commanders, none of whom have the same elan or initiative that Jackson did. Had Jackson been in command of his entire Corps at Gettysburg, I think it is very likely that Day 2 at Gettysburg turns out much differently. The Union flank is likely not secured on the Round Tops, and Lee has a strong chance of rolling the open Union line. If so, the Union is likely defeated or leaves the field in retreat towards D.C.

Political pressures lead the North potentially to sue for peace as Britain intervenes in the war. The U.S. is divided into two countries, neither of which ever becomes a superpower and world events change forever as U.S. intervention in WW1 is highly unlikely.

"Blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked or stand in the way of sinners or sit in the seat of mockers. But his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night. He is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither. Whatever he does prospers." Psalms 1:1-3
Unread 06-15-2006, 04:05 PM
Oberstleutnant

My gut reaction is the British surrender at Yorktown.
This is the defining point of the American Revolution
the point when the British were basically made to start packing up to leave.
(Although I do like Kharkovs point) =)
Unread 06-16-2006, 08:20 PM
Vice Kommandir
Generalfeldmarschall

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG_Kharkov
Other: The Death of Stonewall Jackson at Chancellorsville.

In brief, Jackson dies at Chancellorsville and his Corps is divided amongst 3 commanders, none of whom have the same elan or initiative that Jackson did. Had Jackson been in command of his entire Corps at Gettysburg, I think it is very likely that Day 2 at Gettysburg turns out much differently. The Union flank is likely not secured on the Round Tops, and Lee has a strong chance of rolling the open Union line. If so, the Union is likely defeated or leaves the field in retreat towards D.C.

Political pressures lead the North potentially to sue for peace as Britain intervenes in the war. The U.S. is divided into two countries, neither of which ever becomes a superpower and world events change forever as U.S. intervention in WW1 is highly unlikely.
The Union won the war in west! Vicksburg still falls (the South is still cut into two pieces), Grant will still be called to command the Army of the Potomac (and maybe even quicker), and unless Lincoln loses the election and the Union quits, they still win.
Unread 06-16-2006, 08:30 PM
Generalleutnant

I don't think Grant (and Sherman) ever get the opportunity to exploit their victory at Vicksburg if Lee wins at Gettysburg. As Sspoom says, the mere fact of British recognition would have been a huge political blow to a very fragile Lincoln administration.

"Blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked or stand in the way of sinners or sit in the seat of mockers. But his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night. He is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither. Whatever he does prospers." Psalms 1:1-3
Unread 06-16-2006, 08:37 PM
Vice Kommandir
Generalfeldmarschall

I seriously doubt that another Southern victory in the east in 1863 causes a change in the British position. By that time they appear to be very set in their position. As stated before, the biggest reason for that is the slavery issue.
Unread 06-15-2006, 09:20 PM

Default Here we go

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2054172
The war of 1812-14 against Britian/Canada. Will expand later... I have to go to work now..... great post idea!
This was the time in history that I feel really made both Canada and the USA as independant countries in the spiritual sense if not in the worldly sense. The USA from this time onward did not ever have to fear being taken over buy another country. It became truely independant. Canada was able to defend itself from agressors and also would never have to worry about outside forces taking over.
Unread 06-15-2006, 06:09 PM
General der Panzer

The Fourteenth Amendment to the Constitution, ratified 9 July 1868, and the success of the Constutional Convention (1774-1789) in creating the U.S. Constitution both stand equal as the most significant defining moments in American History. The Constitution (along with the First Ten Amendments, Bill of Rights), gave white men rights and equality, and the Fourteenth Amendment granted these rights to all citizens.

Section 1 of the Fourteenth Amendment is the basis of equality for ALL Americans. It states:

ALL PERSONS born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive ANY PERSON of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to ANY PERSON within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

Of course it took women a bit longer to gain certain rights -- like the right to vote.

All responses so far are significant moments in U.S. History. But I think mine more so! :)

Last edited by KG_Soldier; 06-15-2006 at 06:20 PM..
Unread 06-15-2006, 09:01 PM
Recruit. Off./ Global Mod
Generaloberst

All great points so far!

Although i disagree that the British would become an open ally with the southern states during the civil war. They wouldnt do that as long as they continued to have slavery. IMHO that is.