Go Back   Kampfgruppe Forums > The Depot > SSpoom's Basement

We are happy to announce open registration on the KG forums has begun! Welcome everyone!

Unread 10-25-2006, 12:32 AM
Oberste Befehlshaber (Ret.)
Oberst

Send a message via MSN to KG_AGCent

In order to ensure that your circulation system is leak proof, it is suggested that you put the pieces together prior to installation and run it for at least 24 hours. The only way for me to do this and have the legths of pipe correct is to go ahead and start installing the water blocks on the vid cards.

Here are both ATI x1950 XTX cards. One still fully assembled and one with the massive cooling fan assembly removed. This was held on by four small screws.

A look at the card with all the fan accessories and heat bridges removed.

Here is an edge-on view of the cooling block. The GPU on the vid card stands slightly higher than the ram chips on the card. This shot is supposed to show the machining of the 2 steps ensuring proper contact with the GPU and ram.

This is a shot of the cooling block installed on the card. This block will be held on by eight tiny machine screws, rubber o-rings and shoulder washers. For right now I have only 2 screws holding them on as I am only wanting to get tubing legths.

Here are both cards with both water blocks temporarily installed on the cards and temproarily placed in the motherboard. You can see the tubing bridge between the two blocks.

Unread 10-26-2006, 02:43 AM
Unteroffizier Offizier- anwarter

Send a message via ICQ to KG_GASXTREME Send a message via AIM to KG_GASXTREME Send a message via MSN to KG_GASXTREME Send a message via Yahoo to KG_GASXTREME Send a message via Skype™ to KG_GASXTREME

Thats an insane setup you've got going there Rob! I've actually got the same exact reservoir in my SFF (Small Form Factor) shuttle pc, and it seems to do pretty well.... Just make sure to keep an eye on the fluid level as a small percentage seems to evaporate... I find that I usually need to add some fluid every 8 months or so....

Looks like its coming along great though amigo :)
-steve
Unread 10-26-2006, 10:38 AM
Oberst

So far, things are going fairly smoothly. I have had to abandon the idea of long-radius tubing turns in favor of elbows in order to ensure no obstructions where key components are going to sit on the Mobo. Also, for every two steps I take forward I am taking one and a half back where this cooling loop is concerned. The vid coolers are going to have to be permanently fixed to the cards in order for me to run the loop leak test and be able to ensure the loop integrity because of the bridge between the coolers. Quite nervous about that. So I have to take the coolers off, clean the chips with isopropyl alchohol, install the heat transfer paste on the GPU and all seven RAM blocks then reattach the coolers with all the hardware. Thank God the coolant is absolutely non-conductive.

I almost jumped the gun last night and installed my CPU but then put my brain into gear and stopped before I open the box. Lesson: don't do this shit while tired.
Unread 10-26-2006, 03:17 PM
Generalleutnant

Send a message via MSN to KG_CrimsonTrooper Send a message via Yahoo to KG_CrimsonTrooper

You MUST be tired because your pictures are Bluuuuuurrrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyyy....

Either that or your camera's a P.O.S

- Emiliano Zapata

Unread 10-26-2006, 07:32 PM
Oberst

its a POS and I was tired, double whammy.
Unread 11-05-2006, 03:51 PM
Oberst

After a frenzy of work and sweat and anxiety,

It's ALIVE I tell you, ALIVE!!!!!

Pictures to follow.
Unread 11-06-2006, 08:01 PM
Unteroffizier

Send a message via MSN to KG_Norad

Good for you Rob! Have Fun!

"Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorius is to die daily" - Napoleon Bonaparte.
Unread 11-17-2006, 07:31 PM
Oberst

A major annoyance and something to be aware of if you intend to use the Crossfire configuration for 2 Radeon type vid cards; there are two version of Crossfire cards. A Crossfire Ready and a Crossfire Edition. I had bought two Crossfire Ready x1950xtx cards thinking that 2 cards that were "Ready" could be linked together to make the Crossfire bridge. NOT!

You must have a Crossfire EDITION as the "master" video card mated with a Crossfire READY video card as the "slave." You cannot use two Ready cards nor can you use two Edition cards. Nowhere on Newegg.com did they explain this, nowhere readily accessible on the ATI website did they explain this and nowhere in the instruction booklet that came with the my two Ready cards was this explained.

Be forewarned.

I sent one of my cards back to Newegg.com last week for a refund. I was credited the refund last night and placed an order for an Edition card today. It ought to be here by Tuesday next week. I am also RMA-ing my other Edition card back to ATI for a replacement as this one fried due to circumstances unknown. So I ought to back up on my new rig by Wednesday of next week with one card and hopefully have the second card installed by second week in December.
Unread 11-17-2006, 09:14 PM
Leutnant

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG_AGCent View Post
You must have a Crossfire EDITION as the "master" video card mated with a Crossfire READY video card as the "slave."
Well, I'm sure that Jay wouldnt mind if you borrowed his "master" for a while...

http://www.kampfgruppe.us/showthread...9765#post39765
Unread 11-17-2006, 09:26 PM
Oberst

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG_Swampfox View Post
Well, I'm sure that Jay wouldnt mind if you borrowed his "master" for a while...

http://www.kampfgruppe.us/showthread...9765#post39765
... I would find myself right back in the confessional.