Go Back   Kampfgruppe Forums > The Depot > SSpoom's Basement

We are happy to announce open registration on the KG forums has begun! Welcome everyone!

Unread 09-04-2006, 01:29 PM
Oberste Befehlshaber (Ret.)
Oberst

Send a message via MSN to KG_AGCent
Default Happy Labor Day

From Pope John Paul II's 1981 encyclical Laborem exercens:

Quote:
The ancient world introduced its own typical differentiation of people into classes according to the type of work done. Work which demanded from the worker the exercise of physical strength, the work of muscles and hands, was considered unworthy of free men, and was therefore given to slaves. By broadening certain aspects that already belonged to the Old Testament, Christianity brought about a fundamental change of ideas in this field, taking the whole content of the Gospel message as its point of departure, especially the fact that the one who, while being God, became like us in all things devoted most of the years of his life on earth to manual work at the carpenter's bench. This circumstance constitutes in itself the most eloquent "Gospel of work", showing that the basis for determining the value of human work is not primarily the kind of work being done but the fact that the one who is doing it is a person.
Many homilies offered with on eye on Labor Day (tomorrow, in the U.S.) will focus on wretched working conditions or immigration problems, in order to excite pity. That's commendable, but it risks obscuring a simple but important point: work has a dignity in and of itself. Workers deserve respect qua workers.

Pity can sometimes be patronizing, to the extent it suggests the most interesting thing about a person is his misery. The guy who's doing a humble and unexciting job -- scraping rust or mopping floors -- has positive worth in Christian eyes, irrespective of his well-being. Says the Pope in the same encyclical: "The primary basis of the value of work is man himself, who is its subject."
Unread 09-04-2006, 09:41 PM
Recruit. Off./ Global Mod
Generaloberst

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG_AGCent
work has a dignity in and of itself.
Take it from me, that is so true. Im comming up on the 6 year anniversary of the beginning of my illness and no one i know knows and values the ability to work more than i do.